Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Beekeeping / Re: 9 frame honey super on 10 frame deep super
« Last post by Mosti on Today at 04:23:10 AM »
I use ten brood frames and 9 in the super,  never had any problems
Swarms, Cut Outs, Trap Outs and Bee Trees / Re: Catching Your own Swarm
« Last post by LazyBkpr on Today at 01:07:59 AM »

Remeber the gender of the creatures you are trying t figure out? That is right, give up NOW, your not going to figure them out!

I try to put up swarm traps every year, two or three about 1/4 of a mile away, some half a mile, etc...  Old comb, lemon grass oil.. and a nice DEEP box with plenty of room..  Inevitably, they choose a NUC in my bee shed thats about 35 yards from the hives. It has happened t me three times now...

First, the nuc is too small, no swarm will choose it.
   Second, it has old comb but no lemongrass oil
   Third, it is too close to the other hives...

three strikes = WIN!!

Yep, like I said, remember the gender!
  Oh.. and DUCK!! Mrs river or Jaybird might have heard me say that!
« Last post by Perry on Yesterday at 09:30:55 PM »
I have left empty boxes in a few of my yards hoping that they might catch a swarm or 2 but never had any success. It seems that swarms are not as happy locating too close from whence they came? ??? ???
« Last post by CBT on Yesterday at 09:22:11 PM »
You might find a good head high branch that you could tie a rag with swarm lure on it that wood be easy to box them from after they land on it to check it out.
Pests and Diseases / Re: Effects of fungicide on bees
« Last post by Nugget Shooter on Yesterday at 08:04:12 PM »
WOW Neil.....  :no: Just for money too.
General Beekeeping / Re: managing a queenless hive
« Last post by Jacobs on Yesterday at 07:49:22 PM »
What you experienced is just the functional equivalent of walking out of a room and walking back in again to remember why you were going there in the first place--something I do almost every day.
Swarms, Cut Outs, Trap Outs and Bee Trees / Catching Your own Swarm
« Last post by 40 Acre Bees on Yesterday at 06:10:32 PM »
The swarms that I am really interested in catching are of course my own.  I have a few old deep supers that I wanted to convert into swarm traps, but I am unsure where to put them.  I don't think I will be able to get them to high off the ground, but I do have a couple of extra hive stands that are about 20" high.  Will this work possibly and how far away from my current hives should I locate them.  Thanks in advance for any information you could give us.  :bee:
« Last post by Perry on Yesterday at 04:03:16 PM »
Hey Joey. Not a problem, I switched all my honey supers to 9 frame last year. Use 10 if you are using undrawn frames though.
General Beekeeping / Re: managing a queenless hive
« Last post by LazyBkpr on Yesterday at 03:03:06 PM »
I know. I followed it last year! :-\\

LOL welcome to the club rober. in this club your never alone!  :laugh:
« Last post by LazyBkpr on Yesterday at 03:01:12 PM »
Many people space their frames out in a ten frame box and only put nine frames in it, and there are some that like to run 11 frame brood boxes.  The only issue would be with the gap on the side if there is one. The offset may allow water/rain to leak into the hive more than normal.
   Scott
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10