Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Any and Every Thing / Re: Christmas songs, your opinion?
« Last post by The15thMember on December 23, 2023, 02:31:56 pm »
I personally can't stand a Christmas radio station (or kind of any radio station) for long because it's too repetitive.  I like basically all Christmas music, but I need variety.  I have a playlist of about 180 Christmas songs that is my go-to.  It's all Christmas music from artists I listen to regularly.  It's largely New Age artists (Enya, Celtic Woman, Loreena McKennitt), traditional Irish music (The Chieftains), American folk (Johnny Cash, a local Appalachian group), contemporary Christian (Lauren Daigle, Francesca Battistelli), rock (Blackmore's Night, and a smattering of one-off 80's Christmas singles from Queen, Prentenders, and the like), and Sleeping at Last, who kind of defies classification.  Just to gives me some traditional feels, I also have a Bing Crosby Christmas collection on there.  I add a new album every couple of years to keep things new and interesting.  I think my favorite traditional Christmas song, regardless of artist, is "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day".  My favorite non-traditional Christmas songs are "White is in the Winter Night" by Enya, "Snow" by Sleeping at Last, and "Christmas Dreams" by Francesca Battistelli.

For Christmas movies, as a family we always watch Home Alone on Thanksgiving night to kick off the Christmas season, we watch A Charlie Brown Christmas on Christmas Eve, and we always turn on the A Christmas Story marathon on Christmas Day when we are done opening presents.  I don't usually do more than that unless the mood strikes me randomly.  I've seen Christmas Vacation several times and Love Actually several times.   

Edit: I forgot to add that I can't stand it when Christmas stations play covers of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" or "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music.  These are not Christmas songs, and should not be treated as such.  :no:  Pachelbel's "Canon in D", however, does not bother me.           
Any and Every Thing / Christmas songs, your opinion?
« Last post by Bakersdozen on December 23, 2023, 10:24:44 am »
It's Christmas Eve Eve. 
Do you have a favorite Christmas song?
Is there a Christmas song that makes you cringe if you hear it?
Do you have a Christmas song that your think is overplayed on the radio?
Do you turn the radio off so that you don't hear any Christmas music?

Feel free to substitute Christmas song for Christmas movie!
Recipes / Re: What's Cookin'
« Last post by The15thMember on December 20, 2023, 08:32:22 pm »
Christmas cookies!! I sprinkled all the cutouts myself.  8)

Recipes Using Honey / Re: Goat Cheese Grilled Cheese with Honey
« Last post by The15thMember on December 20, 2023, 08:29:28 pm »
Okay, I'll be doing this!  I've got all the ingredients, and most of them homemade, except the fresh rosemary, but I'm pretty sure I freeze dried some over the summer.  I often use it in a skin scrub I make. 
Recipes Using Honey / Goat Cheese Grilled Cheese with Honey
« Last post by Bakersdozen on December 18, 2023, 05:07:59 pm »
I don't remember where I got this recipe but I sure do like it.

Fresh Rosemary, chopped finely
Butter, enough to grill a sandwich
2 slices of bread
Goat cheese
Honey
Chopped nuts

In a pan melt the butter and saute the rosemary to infuse the flavor.  Spread the butter on 2 slices of Sourdough or bread of your choice,  I like Pepperidge Farms 15 Grain bread.
Spread goat cheese on the inside of one slice of bread and begin grilling.  Sprinkle chopped nuts on top of the goat cheese.  I use walnuts or pecans.  If your nuts are toasted it gives a little extra crunch.  Drizzle honey over the cheese and nuts.  Assemble the sandwich and your ready to eat.

I love rosemary and grow it every year in a pot.  It can take a lot of freezing temperatures, at least for a  while. 
General Beekeeping / Re: Alaska Bee Keeping
« Last post by MudSongs on December 11, 2023, 07:31:29 am »
I switched to painting all my hive boxes black after seeing you do it. Some people, as usual, think I'm crazy, but I don't think it harmed the bees at all. It just doesn't get hot enough on the east cost of Newfoundland for the black boxes to cook the bees or do harm.

I don't wrap all of my hives in the winter because they're in sheltered areas, and I think blank paint allows them break cluster a little easier when they need to.  That's my theory anyway.  I know some "condensing hives" argue that temperature fluctuation that cause the bees to break cluster and cluster again stresses the bees, but I'm no convinced of that yet. In any case, the black paint has worked out well for me.

Have you considered trying out poly hives in your area?  I'm still experimenting with one that I've had since last year, but other beekeepers in my cold climate similar to yours rave about them.  They don't require wrapping or any kind of winter prep, the bees don't eat as much honey and they brood up quicker in the spring. Or so I'm told.  My first winter with a poly hive, last winter, wasn't a good test because I had an old queen who was fading fast going into winter, and the colony petered out by the spring, which I don't blame on the poly hive. But I'm hopeful.
Recipes Using Honey / Re: Breakfast with Honey and Pollen
« Last post by The15thMember on December 10, 2023, 01:29:17 pm »
I can't believe it, my breakfast frequently looks almost exactly like this!  My sister makes homemade yogurt with her goats milk, which we sweeten with honey, and I make homemade granola.  Top it off with a little pollen, maybe some extra craisins, or add some powdered strawberries, the combinations are endless! 

I'm missing our homemade dairy right now because the goats are all dried up in preparation for kidding beginning next month.  Hopefully this is the last year we'll be without our own milk during this time, since we'll have 4 does in milk for the first time next year.  We're having to drink that opaque white water they sell at the store right now instead.  They call it milk, but we know better now.  :no:     
General Beekeeping / MOVED: Breakfast with Honey and Pollen
« Last post by Bakersdozen on December 10, 2023, 11:48:13 am »
This topic has been moved to Recipes Using Honey.

https://worldwidebeekeeping.com/forum/index.php?topic=9382.0
Recipes Using Honey / Breakfast with Honey and Pollen
« Last post by MudSongs on December 10, 2023, 11:35:51 am »
Some of you might enjoy seeing how I made my breakfast this morning:

Any and Every Thing / Re: GA Aquarium (Plus Bonus Bee Store!)
« Last post by Bakersdozen on December 09, 2023, 06:40:30 pm »
Sounds like a great weekend!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]