Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Beekeeping / Re: Alaska Bee Keeping
« Last post by yukonjeff on Today at 01:53:52 AM »
Thanks guys, I will keep an eye on them and hope they don't make a queen cell, that was the beginning of my problems last summer.

And no I have not done a mite count I hate to kill bees yet while I am trying to build them up, but I do plan to do MAQ treatment after the main flow in August unless I see deformed crawlers around, and then sooner.

Well we have had great weather here this spring, my bees flew almost everyday since I hived them, still getting down to the mid 30s f and high as 60,supposed to get a little snow flurries in the next few days.

Here is my bee's on the blooming Labrador tea and another flower not sure what it is.

Thanks for the postings. You are lucky that your apiary is away from home. Mine is also, but I have a bait hive at home which is visible from the lounge. I keep looking out the window to see if any scouts are showing interest. I have to look craftily. SWMBO gives me earache if I'm caught looking.

Blue.   With one of your other interests, I am mentally composing a PM about gunflints.
Welcome / Re: Greetings From Western Alaska
« Last post by Barbarian on Today at 01:41:33 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
It will be very interesting to hear how you progress. Keep us posted.
Quite a few of our members get "cabin fever" during the winter. I do. This forum is one of the ways to keep interested.
I also, am a member of a New Zealand form. Our winter is their summer. With the Manuka demand, it's like lawless Klondike conditions.

In the UK, before modern beekeeping, the bees were housed in straw or willow skeps. To over-winter, some of the skeps were kept in stone built recesses in farm buildings ... bee boles. Locally, we have a bee house. Built of stone, against a slope, the lower room was for farm use (pigs ?), and the upper room had stone shelves and recesses for the skeps.
Any and Every Thing / Re: Abandoned orchards!
« Last post by Lburou on Yesterday at 11:29:00 PM »
Looks like a bee paradise Perry.  :)
Any and Every Thing / Re: what a last 24 hours for theo the bee dog
« Last post by Jen on Yesterday at 09:06:41 PM »
Rrat, one of our dogs, a male, swallowed everything in sight. We'll never know if when he died if he had an assortment of stuff that wouldn't come out the other end.

Fortunately, our Katy and Phoebe, chew on lots of stuff but to my knowledge has never swallowed anything.

Wonder if it's a male dog thing...?
Any and Every Thing / Re: Abandoned orchards!
« Last post by CBT on Yesterday at 08:40:52 PM »
We are seeing that trend here too.
Calendar & Events / Re: Texas Beeks Association Summer Clinic on June 10
« Last post by Lburou on Yesterday at 08:01:07 PM »
I plan to go...  :)
Any and Every Thing / Re: what a last 24 hours for theo the bee dog
« Last post by Riverrat on Yesterday at 07:49:18 PM »
Well we took theo back up to get his stiches out today he has a clean bill of health.  On down side since home we have had to give him peroxide to get up the dish towel that hangs on the stove and a sock he had swallowed guess he hasn't learned yet
Beekeeping 101 / Re: Brood box setup
« Last post by SmokeyBee on Yesterday at 06:47:48 PM »
Haven't dug into the two bottom boxes in a bit. They're drawn out 100% but I don't know what's in the cells.

Just picked up another medium today, just needs a coat of paint.
Beekeeping 101 / Re: Brood box setup
« Last post by yes2matt on Yesterday at 06:36:05 PM »
What do the bottom frames look like

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10