Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Any and Every Thing / Re: Post Harvey
« Last post by Wandering Man on Today at 12:51:38 PM »
I recognized a lot of the buildings in the video.  They were familiar sites to me as I drove back and forth each day from my home to my office.

Here are some pictures of our old house, built in 1920.  The house was built from lumber recycled from the 1919 hurricane.  The tarp on the second floor covers bare rafters after the roof had been lifted off.  Overall, we were pretty proud that this ancient house stood up as well as it did to one more hurricane. 

The tree now on its side was a huge Live Oak that had to be a couple of hundred years old:

Any and Every Thing / Re: Post Harvey
« Last post by Les on Today at 12:06:08 PM »
Thank you for posting to remind us.  I cannot imagine what it is like to come back from losing everything.
Any and Every Thing / Post Harvey
« Last post by Wandering Man on Today at 11:38:50 AM »
We lived in Aransas Pass until 2013.  My office was in Rockport.
We know live about an hour North of Rockport, and felt a lot of the impact of this hurricane, but were not devastated like these two towns:

Beekeeping 101 / Re: Worthwhile to wash jars straight from the factory?
« Last post by Les on Today at 11:36:56 AM »
Baker the hair dryer is a great idea!
Beekeeping 101 / Re: Best way to print labels
« Last post by SmokeyBee on Today at 08:57:02 AM »
I've never printed honey labels, but I've printed labels for other purposes before and Avery makes it easy. The templates are already in MS word to make them print correctly. You just choose the format from the number on the Avery packaging in Word.
Do-It-Yourself Plans and Prints / Re: Extractor decisions
« Last post by Bakersdozen on Today at 06:11:22 AM »
Logistics can be a difficult hurdle.  I feel for you.  Perhaps you could recruit a roommate to be your assistant in this process, then there might be less complaints. You will also appreciate the help when you are actually harvesting.
My initial thoughts are of sanitation.  Remember you are handling and processing a food.  To harvest in a remote location would require, at a minimum, hot water and an air tight, dust free facility to keep the bees out.  The bees will be all over you like white on rice!  Are you willing to have your station wagon covered in sticky honey?(inside and out)  Because honey will be everywhere. 
Any supers transported outside, whether it be a trailer or car top, will need to be tarped to keep dust and debris out.  Until a year ago, I just had a big old Buick.  I hauled a lot of equipment in the trunk of that car.  Sometimes it took several trips.
I have to admit that I don't wash inexpensive plastic bottles any more.  Those won't hold up in a dishwasher.  It is very tedious.  I do wash glass bottles. Who knows what type of environment the bottles are manufactured in.  Do you have an automatic dishwasher?  That should have a dry setting on it.  You may have to follow up with a towel to remove water spots.
Another thought is an electric hair dryer.
Beekeeping 101 / Re: Best way to print labels
« Last post by Bakersdozen on Today at 05:43:38 AM »
I am so glad you asked this question.  I will be curious to see the replies. 
Before you begin, you might need to check with local government on label requirements.  The state I live in recently changed their requirements on honey labels and I need to update mine. I have been dragging my feet on this chore.
General Beekeeping / Re: Pretty Sure I have a Queenless Hive
« Last post by Bakersdozen on Today at 05:40:24 AM »
Lee and Jack, good advice.  Jack, I never thought of that possibility. Interesting.
Beekeeping 101 / Best way to print labels
« Last post by omnimirage on Yesterday at 11:27:35 PM »
I'm wanting to sell at local farmer markets, because I'm needing to find a way of distributing honey, but none of my products have labels on them, which I figure is needed to be able to compete with the other guys.

I'm really not sure the best way to print labels. The quotes I got from companies to print and then ship labels to me ended up costing too much: about $0.4 per label. I figure I need to print them myself. I've been told that I can buy these sticker sheets that work in a standard printer, avery was the brand suggested to me, seems like I can buy them relatively cheap in Australia.

Is there a better way of going about this?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10