Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Bee News / Re: Nova Scotia bee news!
« Last post by Barry n Abbie on Today at 08:27:14 AM »
The more I look into the background, the madder I get.  My significant other who has known me for 30+ years gently suggested that I stop researching and calm down, its just politics.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  I need to open a hive and talk to my bees  :laugh:lol
Beekeeping 101 / Re: Am I on the right track?
« Last post by riverbee on Yesterday at 11:28:09 PM »

if for some reason, your bees/queen gets ahead of you, frames are drawn, and the queen is laying up in the frames, and you don't want her to AND you are up to the challenge; find the queen, make sure she's not in the super, if she is move her down. place your excluder on if you choose to. the bees will take care of the brood above the excluder. the bees will take care of the brood and will revert the cells to honey cells.

One word of caution.  If you take this route, there is a good chance they will raise a queen above the queen excluder.  If there is an upper entrance you will get a mated queen,  if not a drone layer.   This is the method Brother Adam refers to as queen rearing in a queen-right hive.

Yet another one of the "issues" a queen excluder can cause a beginner.

a possibility, in my own experience, i have yet to have this happen.

smokey what robo said about feeding the sugar syrup.
Pests and Diseases / Re: U.S.D.A. & chalkbrood
« Last post by riverbee on Yesterday at 11:08:08 PM »
rober, chalkbrood is a fungal disease and as perry and robo said, there is no treatment, and any treatment for it will just not work.

look in the stickies in pests and diseases for a brief description, honey bee diseases and pests and also a field guide to honey bees and their maladies.

it typically occurs in spring, late spring, cooler temps. chalkbrood can weaken and slow a hive's growth down.
may occur because of excessive moisture in the hive/poor ventilation. i said MAY. i have experienced chalkbrood with adequate ventilation.
colony nutrition, make sure they have adequate pollen and sufficient food stores.
old brood comb? might have to cull it.
other disease? colony stress?
genetics and resistance. as perry mentioned if it doesn't clear up, requeen.
AHB first arrived in the US not too many miles south of where I was living at the time.  We have AHB in South Texas, but most feral hives are non-aggressive.  I was wondering why Arizona has such high percentage of AHBs, compared to us.  This statement may explain that:

Donna said southern U.S. states – except Arizona - have strict policies on catching and keeping AHB. For this reason the population of aggressive bees in the state continues to increase, she explained.

I don't know what the AHB protocol in Texas is, anymore.  We used to not be allowed to transport bees across the county line.  Now, you have to be registered to pick up a swarm and transport across the county line, but it is allowed, and registration is nothing more than an attestation that you are abiding by the state regs for bee hives.

Today, we no longer have to report the presence of AHB swarms to the State.

Beekeeping 101 / Re: yesterday's inspections-thoughts?
« Last post by neillsayers on Yesterday at 03:31:07 PM »
Just keep an eye on hive 3's consumption and make sure they aren't clogging up the brood nest with syrup.

Thanks Robo,

They have an undrawn super over them so hopefully they will use it there.
« Last post by Robo on Yesterday at 03:16:33 PM »
Just keep an eye on hive 3's consumption and make sure they aren't clogging up the brood nest with syrup.
« Last post by neillsayers on Yesterday at 03:11:14 PM »
Thanks guys! :)
« Last post by Robo on Yesterday at 03:07:40 PM »
 :agree:

Glad you didn't rob from 1 to supplement 2 & 3
« Last post by Perry on Yesterday at 02:40:56 PM »
I would say so. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
anything