Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Pests and Diseases / Re: RE: OAV SETTING HIVE ON FIRE
« Last post by Mikey N.C. on Today at 06:06:21 PM »
So does the hot plate not get hot enough to start a fire , i coat the inside of my boxes with melted wax is that a problem.?
Pests and Diseases / Re: OAV setting hive on fire
« Last post by Mikey N.C. on Today at 05:57:19 PM »
What is the commercial type oav compared to what I can but from brushy mountain. ?
Beekeeping 101 / Need some advice pretty quickly - leaking bucket!!!!
« Last post by Salmo on Today at 05:48:39 PM »
So, just got my 2 nucs into the boxes Saturday morning, added the new store bought pail feeders with fresh 1:1.  I noticed late in the afternoon on Sunday,  when the weather warmed up, that there was a large number of ants and a slick of liquid, didn't take long to figure what it was.  However I can't see anything wrong with the buckets, I took it into the house, filled it turned it into the sink than onto paper towel and it didn't leak.

I cleaned up around the hive and scalded the ants, put the bucket back and checked in a few hours later and all's seems fine. 

Is this related to the temp change, why one bucket but not the other and finally should I toss it and go for the ladder type feeders before serious damage occurs? Is this common with buckets and mesh vs home made bucket feeders?

Would appreciate some advise , this is only day 3 of beekeeping and we really don't want to stress the out or worse.

Thanks Randall

« Last post by Mikey N.C. on Today at 05:34:34 PM »
That doesn't answer the question. What are pro an cons of trickle , dribbl method
Compared to Oav with a wand.  I assume you're saying. Liquid method is more harmful.?
Beekeeping 101 / Congested Top Entrance
« Last post by 40 Acre Bees on Today at 05:33:06 PM »
Well there appears to be a good flow starting and we have so much congestion at the top entrances of all four of our hives, we don't know what to do.  Everyone seems to want to use the small top entrance and ignore the wide opening on the bottom.  As suggested in a previous post I reversed the brood boxes when we did our spring inspections, and the queens appear to be in all the bottom boxes but the girls insist on using the top entrance.  Should we just let them figure things out or is there something we can do.  Thanks in advance. :)
Pests and Diseases / Re: Big Pest In Hospital
« Last post by efmesch on Today at 04:26:07 PM »
LazyBkpr asks: "why is it that sometimes new threads do not show up?"

Ef suggests: Maybe it's so that good folks like you will discover the thread and re-activate it. 

There's nothing I'd like more than to read an update on this thread straight from the "pen" of Iddee.  He's probably busy extracting his honey crop but maybe he could take a break and treat us to a few of his golden words.
« Last post by LazyBkpr on Today at 04:20:31 PM »
he acid is dangerous, and it will damage your lungs. You need an acid gas respirator for safety:

You cant breathe enough of it to be dangerous. One whiff and your headed for Montana.. unless you live in Montana, then your headed for Texas...    In hundreds and hundreds of applications it only happened to me once, and it happened because I was in a rush and not paying attention... It won't happen again...
   It is all about common sense. If you have none, then please dont even use the commercial stuff, because it is even more dangerous that OAV.   You eat Oxalic Acid every day, your body is capable of coping with it in trace amounts. Don't be dumb and you shouldn't ever have a problem.

Based upon the presented data, a commercial apiarist could use oxalic acid treatments during the whole year, 40 hours a week without damaging his health.

The above statements can be found in the PDF Document found at;

www.agroscope.admin.ch/imkerei/00316/00329/02081/index.html?lang=en
Do-It-Yourself Plans and Prints / Re: New Farm Market Stand
« Last post by efmesch on Today at 04:15:40 PM »
It's amazing how two good hands can turn scrap wood into a work of art.   :goodjob:
Here's best wishes for a lot of sales throughout the coming year. 
May you  be "troubled" only by the need to bring a lot of refills every market day.   8)
Pests and Diseases / Re: Big Pest In Hospital
« Last post by LazyBkpr on Today at 04:14:12 PM »
What the heck!   Never saw this thread until I actually browsed instead of hitting unread... why is it that sometimes new threads do not show up?
   WAY late,   been getting the occasional email so I had no idea....      No, Wally isn;t going to say anything, too proud and too ornery..   Will have to shoot him a mail now.
   Scott
Pests and Diseases / Re: RE: OAV SETTING HIVE ON FIRE
« Last post by LazyBkpr on Today at 04:11:07 PM »
I have marks on my bottom boards from the vaporizer, but have never started a fire.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
anything