Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Beekeeping / Re: Alaska Bee Keeping
« Last post by yukonjeff on Today at 04:06:33 AM »
That is clear ! is it sugar syrup  :D

Is it from White fireweed ? We only have the pink type here.

(Google picture)
General Beekeeping / Re: Bees and Trailer stolen out of marion Kansas
« Last post by Les on Today at 02:10:58 AM »
I hate thiefs, I hope the bees hate them too!
General Beekeeping / Re: My first season is coming to an end
« Last post by Jen on Today at 12:01:10 AM »
I'm with you Gbee, the only thing I use to date is oxalic acid. But we eat oxalic acid on so many foods that I don't worry about the bees or the honey. Personally, I haven't run across any K wing here in upper northern Calif that I know of. But I have dealt with deformed wing virus, which is so sad to see the bees wobbling around on the ground.
« Last post by Green bee on Yesterday at 11:09:53 PM »
Jen from what I have read , what apisbees said would be a good contribution to nosema. But bees are also more likely to show major symptoms after they have been in the hive for long periods, like over winter. The spores are transmitted easily from bee to bee when clustered or confined. k wing is another symptom bees could have from nosema due to the swollen abdomen. My main goal is to be able to test and treat only when I absolutely have to. I guess my theory is to let the bees fight off as much as possible before I intervene in hopes that they build there own resistance. That being said I have also read studies that suggest that in the wild , in old hollow trees there’s natural fungi that grow the bees eat that actually help the bees with these issues. Naturally these fungi is not found in the hive we keep . I have read of a product that’s being developed that contain these fungi that studies show to help with all kinds of issues bees have. I think the further we can stay away from the chemicals we treat with the better for the bees. Don’t get me wrong if I have to use chemicals I will,  I am just trying to avoid it as much as I can.
General Beekeeping / Re: Alaska Bee Keeping
« Last post by apisbees on Yesterday at 08:08:49 PM »
Here is a fire weed honey collected about 50 miles north of me. It has some other nectar in it also as it is showing signs of crystals forming from when it was extracted  a month ago.

« Last post by apisbees on Yesterday at 04:27:58 PM »
Yes, is the short answer. Stress is what causes it to manifest itself, Stress causes most most the diseases to manifest themselves in the hive.
« Last post by Jen on Yesterday at 01:28:52 PM »
Can bees get nosema or diarrhea in the summer months? Because I have some mess on the front of a hive that I haven't seen before this time of year

« Last post by CBT on Yesterday at 01:09:45 PM »
Super DFM Honeybee from strong microbials is a great tool used after a nosema treatment to restore a healthy bee gut. I have documents that they used it as a noesma treatment with good result. I have seen great improvement in weak, slow or hives.
General Beekeeping / Re: Bees and Trailer stolen out of marion Kansas
« Last post by SmokeyBee on Yesterday at 07:35:30 AM »
Nothing worse than a thief. I hope the bees wear them out when they tr to unload it.
« Last post by Les on Yesterday at 06:06:14 AM »
If you have Nosema present or even if you don't, thanks to Robo, I have started using a product called Nozevit.  This helps the bees maintain a healthy gut. 
http://www.apivita.hr/products/nozevit/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10