Author Topic: Snow on my hives in North Alabama  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Bamabww

Snow on my hives in North Alabama
« on: February 19, 2014, 05:54:56 pm »
Something I never thought I'd have to do in Alabama is clean snow off my hives. Last week I had to do that twice.

Here's the first snow that blocked the entrance completely off. I cleaned it off for two reasons: to restore the ventilation and to help keep the melting snow from adding moisture inside the hive.  Is that what I should have done? My hives are placed where the entrance drains away from the hive.

Here is the second snow.

Wayne

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Snow on my hives in North Alabama
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 06:18:52 pm »
We got 6 inches last Thursday. I never even looked at my hives until today. The snow was gone, and I didn't have to do a thing.   :o  :D
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 08:28:20 pm »
Spent some time in Bessemer Alabama back when I got out of the Navy.  Had a couple snows that winter, I wasn't impressed either!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 12:40:05 pm »
"Here's the first snow that blocked the entrance completely off. I cleaned it off for two reasons: to restore the ventilation and to help keep the melting snow from adding moisture inside the hive.  Is that what I should have done? My hives are placed where the entrance drains away from the hive."

great pics bama, i clear the snow away up here, especially if it turns to ice and dams up the front entrance and prevents moisture/water from running out, so you did fine. i also tilt my hives from the back just a smidge to aid in having the moisture run out.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline GLOCK

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 05:34:19 pm »
I put pieces of ply wood over the fronts and that helps with the snow build up and I have a top entrance on all my hives in the winter even my nucs  no moisture build up in the hive.
My hives are 3 foot off the ground and the snow just keeps piling up I hate this time of year. :sad:
Say hello to the bad guy.
5 year Beekeeper/40 hives/ treat{oav}