Author Topic: Sugar Prices  (Read 3567 times)

Offline Dunkel

Sugar Prices
« on: June 28, 2017, 11:01:52 am »
I had been surfing the net for sugar this past week.  My local save a lot has been my cheapest at 1.79 for four pounds.  I checked the walmart and sams prices and it came in a little more at about 50 instead of 45 cents a pound.  I started checking individual store price and found one semi close where my son goes to college at 35 per pound.  I had the wife wipe them out and going to check in a day or so for restocking.  The 25 pound bags at 8.68 I can live with. 

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Sugar Prices
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 12:14:15 pm »
Excellent!  Stock up as much as room allows!  The best I can do these days is +- 50ยข a pound.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 02:14:12 pm »
Most of the time I have very good luck with Aldi.  They may not be in your area.  Prices fluctuate a lot and from store to store.  But I have seen it as low as 34 cents a pound.  Aldi is the closest store to me, so that makes it easier to check prices.  There is never a limit either.

Offline yes2matt

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 02:42:13 pm »
I had been surfing the net for sugar this past week.  My local save a lot has been my cheapest at 1.79 for four pounds.  I checked the walmart and sams prices and it came in a little more at about 50 instead of 45 cents a pound.  I started checking individual store price and found one semi close where my son goes to college at 35 per pound.  I had the wife wipe them out and going to check in a day or so for restocking.  The 25 pound bags at 8.68 I can live with.
At the restaurant supply store.

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 09:51:49 pm »
You guys are lucky, you all have so many options for cheap sugar. If this nuc thing works out next spring I'm going to have to find a reliable source for discounted feed.  This fall I'm going to try to get set up for hfcs better than I am right now with the five gallon jugs.  I can trade them out for five filled for $21 dollars.  I think I have nine now.  It's the busiest time of year for me with everything else to do and so easy. I have 1.5 gallon frame feeders in almost all the hives and can add weight quick. I need to come up with a handier cheaper method tough.  I've been thinking about a couple of barrels with a spout.  I have a tote but that is too much to unload with the tractors.  A barrel kinda is manageable.

But the bees seem to pull out frames and take the sucrose faster than hfcs.  Maybe my imagination.  The way I mix the sugar water is let my tap water run until hot and fill my pot with sugar about two thirds full, then add water up until about the level the sugar was as I stir.   I'm not sure of the ratio but it's more than 1:1.  Seems easy enough and I do that until I get in a hurry to put on pounds. My hot water heater is turned up a little from when both boys were at home.  Nothing like being the last guy in the shower when the hot water plays out :-X

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 10:35:02 pm »
We have used a 30 gallon agri tank with a 12 volt pump. Took off the little hose and put on 50 feet RV water hose with a PVC quarter turn valve and a pipe thread to push on hose fitting for a nozzle. Took a plastic pallet and cut it in half and mounted tank to it with a hose mount or hose reel. The 3/4 inch hose and 1/2 in nozzle does not slow down the syrup. When empty it is easy to move from truck from out yard work to golf cart or tractor carry all.
The syrup can be made easy with a 25 gal per minute or more water pump and a 60 gal food grade barrel. If the water is above 100 degrees or more the sugar mixes well. Use wood clamps to hold the pressure side of the hose in place or else. 30 gallons water 250 lbs sugar.  :yes:

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 09:47:16 am »
Ok now I have something to ponder while I'm hauling hay today, beside it being almost ten and I'm waiting on the oldest to show up.  Grr some days. 

Thanks CBT that really sounds like something I could use.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 11:46:20 am »
Last fall, Kroger's had two kilo bags for 98 cents.  I cleared the shelves, but it was only 25 bags.  We are watching for the next sale.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 01:32:04 pm »
 $38.98 on Amazon for 25 lb bag is the cheapest I can find its like $60 at the local store here. That comes to like $1.60 a lb.

Sounds bad, but if it was not for amazon free shipping, the shipping price would exceed the sugar price for sure.

Luckily, I have not use much sugar this year, but that's changing fast now, they are going through a quart a day now.

Offline gibb

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 08:37:32 pm »
Sugar on sale this week for $1.50 for 2 kg bags 4.4 lbs, roughly .34 cents a pound just bought 30 bags sale is on till Wednesday. Should have enough bought for the bees and for making jam.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 09:01:34 pm »
Sugar on sale this week for $1.50 for 2 kg bags 4.4 lbs, roughly .34 cents a pound just bought 30 bags sale is on till Wednesday. Should have enough bought for the bees and for making jam.
I don't want to hijack this thread, but what kind of jam do you make?  I like making jam too.
That's a good buy. :goodone:

Offline gibb

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 09:25:07 pm »
wild Blue berry

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 03:42:55 am »
Not a sugar price ....... BUT

In the UK some BKAs have managed to arrange deals with local multiple retailers whereby damaged/unsaleable bags of sugar are passed to them.
The retailer no longer bins the waste but enhances their "green" image by supporting the under threat bees.
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 07:41:00 am »
if you have a large commercial bakery or a plant that packages sugar they sometimes will sell spilled sugar that's been swept up off the floor cheap. if have a bakery or plant that doesn't save it maybe you can talk them into it. there's lot's of sympathy for bees these days.

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 03:45:23 pm »
Ok, no more talk of sugar prices on the internet.  Someone has been wiping out the sugar supply in my Wal-mart.  The wife was nice enough to get those frames and foundation for me yesterday.  She dropped in the store to get some sugar to make two trips in one, especially since oldest went to lunch with her to help load.  The shelves were clean, the assistant said someone bought the last 6-25lbers at midnight and no 10ers.  She said a truck was coming in an hour, so she waited.  They had 56 10lb bags, how much do you want, she said all.  They unloaded it into the Camary from the truck.  She said White Lightening was carrying enough to make some moonshine :D

So no more talk of any deals unless I have all I can handle :)  Boy I wish I had resources like some of you all.  I won't even mention the jealousy of the flows that you guys experience.

Offline SmokeyBee

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 10:48:51 am »
BiLo around here sells 4 lb bags for $1.60 USD on sale

Offline yes2matt

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 07:15:41 am »
BiLo around here sells 4 lb bags for $1.60 USD on sale
It's crazy how the prices fluctuate week to week. Last week was 1.76.

Offline Newbee

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 08:52:14 am »
The 25 pound bags at 8.68 I can live with.

Bought one just yestrday at the local Kroger's - 10.88 for the 25 lbs (43-cents per lb). Their private label "Shhhhh..." brand - bee's don't seem to mind eating Hydrox instead of Oreo's!

- K

Offline gibb

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 07:27:22 pm »

Wife and I are making strawberry jam tonight, it's raining again does not look like I will get any honey from my 2 hives but we will have jam this winter.
Sugar is always needed for something. Always try to be a year ahead in my supply.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 08:37:15 pm »
I make a lot of jelly too, gibb.  My sister is the jelly queen.  My husband is totally spoiled.