Author Topic: Newbee question - orienting vs robbing  (Read 3493 times)

Offline Lastfling

Newbee question - orienting vs robbing
« on: June 27, 2017, 05:17:23 pm »
Is it unusual for orienting to occur late in the afternoon?  For example 5:12 pm EDST?  I would post a video but don't know how lol.  Best I can tell, there's not a lot of fighting, but there are a lot of bees flying facing the hive.  I might. Need to retract as the numbers have dimished considerably since o started typing this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: Newbee question - orienting vs robbing
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 06:30:49 pm »
 :welcome:   Welcome to our forum 

No, it isn't unusual to see orientation flights in the afternoon (or anytime conditions are just right).  Robbing is usually signaled by pairs of bees spinning out of control and trying to sting each other while oblivious to anything else around them.  Orientation flights frequently end in 30-45 minutes.

Robbers zigzag in front to the entrance with their legs hanging down as they look for an opening into the hive, it continues until everything of value is stolen from a hive, or, until guard bees successfully defend their nest.   HTH   :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Lastfling

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 06:51:43 pm »
Thank you for the welcome and for the insight.  I'll need to pay attention to their legs next time.  Things have calmed way down now.  Where I could hear buzzing from the porch, about 60 feet, I can't hear them at alll now.  Hopefully it was orientating.  I have fed them "miller feeder"
And they have gone through nearly two gallons in 2 1/2 days.  The horizontal hive has a frame feeder and they have done nearly the same. 

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 01:03:19 am »
"Is it unusual for orienting to occur late in the afternoon?  For example 5:12 pm EDST?"

lastfling.........welcome and like lee said, not unusual........

"I would post a video but don't know how lol."

take your video and upload to you tube. to post here, once uploaded to you tube, copy the url and paste the you tube link in the body of your reply.

"Best I can tell, there's not a lot of fighting, but there are a lot of bees flying facing the hive.  I might. Need to retract as the numbers have dimished considerably since o started typing this"

if there is not a lot of fighting, and bees are flying facing the hive and numbers have diminished........my guess is orientation.

lee has some great points on robbing and flying behavior, once robbers start they don't quit until the hive is decimated.  also, if you see bits of wax on the landing board or out the front door of the hive, then the hive has certainly been robbed.

"And they have gone through nearly two gallons in 2 1/2 days.  The horizontal hive has a frame feeder and they have done nearly the same."

2 gallons of sugar syrup is a lot of feed to go through in 2 1/2 days, i would be checking the hive/s..
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Lastfling

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 06:26:14 am »
Here's a try at video - riverbee thanks for all the info!

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 11:11:11 am »
I couldn't tell for certain just what is going on by the video, but I suspect some robbing pressure is there.  I'd put a robbing screen on it for a few days.  Iddee posted a plan for a simple robbing screen somewhere here.  It takes three pieces of wood and some screen.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Lastfling

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 12:46:04 pm »
Fantastic - thanks for info.  I found the link / post you referred to and have lined up a source for the 1/8" hardware cloth at the local ACE Hardware.  A quick stop on the way home this evening  and maybe before dark I can have a couple screens assembled and ready to go on the hives.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 05:57:15 pm »
Lastfling, where are located inN.C. if they ya don't mind me asking.?

Offline Lastfling

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 05:53:06 am »
Lastfling, where are located inN.C. if they ya don't mind me asking.?

Not at all.   I'm just outside of Winston-Salem

Offline Lastfling

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 12:46:02 pm »
 Well,  I got the robber screen made last night, but bees were bearded heavy on hive at landing board so was unsure how to install it without physically moving a bunch of bees.  I waited til this morning just prior to leaving for work at 6:30 and the numbers had gone down considerably.  I still had to move bees out of the way in order to get a good fit and wish I could say they took it on stride, but they didn't.  A few got downright pissy.  Took two stings to arm for my troubles .  Will be interesting to see if there's a difference over the next few days . 

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 05:03:13 pm »
Well,  I got the robber screen made last night...
Well, I will sleep better knowing you have a screen on there.  I hope you do too.  Keep an eye on them when you can, and you will recognize changes in behavior.  Over time, you will get a handle on robbing Vs orientation flights.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 09:11:24 pm »
  Took two stings to arm for my troubles .  Will be interesting to see if there's a difference over the next few days . 

Well first off I'm gonna go with the one arm being a little bigger and maybe redder than the other but after a couple days they will both look the same again.
 ;D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 12:33:26 am »
"Here's a try at video - riverbee thanks for all the info!"

you are welcome, congrats on posting a video!
just a comment.........next time take the video horizontal rather than vertical, and zoom in if need be with the smart phone.....we get more of a view...... ;D

like lee said not sure what you have you going on there........i don't see debris on the front door, (robbers always leave debris ~wax cappings) if there isn't any wax debris doesn't always mean they aren't being robbed of the sugar syrup being fed or syrup that is stored and not capped.

how many hives do you hive and are you nearby to other keeps?

i also think following lee's advice to put a screen on is good solid advice even though you might have a bigger pipe on one arm vs the other........... :D

bees don't take real well to changing their environment sometimes.....and i don't think....let me rephrase, i know.... trying to put on a robbing screen with bearding bees was not an easy task. a smoker with a few puffs of smoke might have helped a little?  with that said, i have a good strong hive that has been bearding heavily for weeks.  i decided to change out the landing board (it is wider) and the bees let me know that really wasn't such a good idea.....but they sure do enjoy the extra space now......... :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Lastfling

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 08:04:21 am »
  Took two stings to arm for my troubles .  Will be interesting to see if there's a difference over the next few days . 

Well first off I'm gonna go with the one arm being a little bigger and maybe redder than the other but after a couple days they will both look the same again.
 ;D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You nailed it LOL.  Yesterday was the red and swollen.  Today's the itching with not quite as much swelling. 

Offline Lastfling

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 08:15:09 am »
"Here's a try at video - riverbee thanks for all the info!"

you are welcome, congrats on posting a video!
just a comment.........next time take the video horizontal rather than vertical, and zoom in if need be with the smart phone.....we get more of a view...... ;D

like lee said not sure what you have you going on there........i don't see debris on the front door, (robbers always leave debris ~wax cappings) if there isn't any wax debris doesn't always mean they aren't being robbed of the sugar syrup being fed or syrup that is stored and not capped.

how many hives do you hive and are you nearby to other keeps?

i also think following lee's advice to put a screen on is good solid advice even though you might have a bigger pipe on one arm vs the other........... :D

bees don't take real well to changing their environment sometimes.....and i don't think....let me rephrase, i know.... trying to put on a robbing screen with bearding bees was not an easy task. a smoker with a few puffs of smoke might have helped a little?  with that said, i have a good strong hive that has been bearding heavily for weeks.  i decided to change out the landing board (it is wider) and the bees let me know that really wasn't such a good idea.....but they sure do enjoy the extra space now......... :D

Point taken on the camera position. 

I only have two hives currently.  The one pictured in the bedroom and a horizontal Lang (picture near top of thread). As for other bee keepers.  I know of two within a mile or so of me.

LOL / Hindsight is 20/20 / a smoker probably would have helped a bunch, and the thought had crossed my mind that attempting the installation without, and early in the morning with everyone home may not be the wisest of ideas.  Work was calling and "this is only going to take a second " got in the way of common sense.  At least
I had forethought to wear a veil.