Author Topic: For those with poor vision  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Les

• Gold Member
For those with poor vision
« on: June 25, 2017, 09:30:09 am »
Since I have difficulty seeing eggs, I film my frames.  Sorry it is a little jerky but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 09:40:45 am by Les »

Offline Lastfling

Re: For those with poor vision
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 10:04:12 am »
Great video.  Is that made with your phone?  I'll have to try that as I have a hard time seeing them also.

Offline Lastfling

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 10:07:14 am »
Saw your answer to my question in another post . Will give my I-phone a whirl here in a little bit

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 04:24:58 pm »
Les, I enjoyed seeing your brood nest video!  If you look at the bottom right of your video player screen you may see a settings Icon.

If you click on the settings Icon, you may see a setting for "SPEED".  If you do, click on it and select a slower speed for viewing.  I played your video at half speed and it didn't seem jerky at all.  HTH   :)

FWIW, this is a large Settings Icon:
Lee_Burough
The following users thanked this post: Les

Offline yes2matt

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 05:47:09 pm »
Since I have difficulty seeing eggs, I film my frames.  Sorry it is a little jerky but it works.

I have a detail question, for those with older eyes than mine: is the main issue farsightedness, so that you have to hold the frame too far away from your face and then can't see the eggs?

Or is it more like a light and contrast issue, so you have the frame in position ok but it's too dark in the bottom of the cell?

I'm not asking to rub in my youth (under 40), but bc I'm thinking of devising some sort of shoulder mount or maybe a hive box mount for a cell phone or tablet.

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 10:14:39 pm »
yes2matt:  For me it is an issue of growing cataracts.  Too much sun, I can't see eggs.  Too much shade, I can't see eggs.  I wear bifocals to deal with near and far sightedness.  I think if I did not have ripening cataracts, I think my glasses would work just fine.

Offline litefoot

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 08:23:04 pm »
Les,
I can't see close up or far away. I remember wearing "cheaters" for the first time under my veil. I was absolutely stunned by the detail. Although I was looking for eggs, I kept staring at the beautiful variety of colors of my mutt bees. The key for me in finding eggs is the angle that I hold the frame. There's a point where the sun hits the bottom of the cells just right.

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 08:51:34 pm »
Another trick I use sometimes, I carry a small pocket LED flashlight that uses one AA battery. You can shine the light into the bottom of the cells and see eggs also.

Sometimes on newer drawn comb that is still clear enough to let the light shine through, hold it up and let the sun shine through the uncapped cells and you just might see the eggs and larva also.

just got progressive lens this summer and they really make a difference on seeing eggs. Most times I would take my glasses off and have to almost put my nose on the comb to see eggs.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 09:48:28 pm »
Another trick I use sometimes, I carry a small pocket LED flashlight that uses one AA battery. You can shine the light into the bottom of the cells and see eggs also.

Sometimes on newer drawn comb that is still clear enough to let the light shine through, hold it up and let the sun shine through the uncapped cells and you just might see the eggs and larva also.

just got progressive lens this summer and they really make a difference on seeing eggs. Most times I would take my glasses off and have to almost put my nose on the comb to see eggs.

Yes! What G said!  The LED also seems to make the eggs kind of glow... not like a fluorescent glow, but it does help them stand out.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 12:15:21 pm »
my chiropractor gave this LED lit magnifier that's used to find lice & nits. it works pretty good. I have good vision but still have a problem seeing eggs.
https://www.safepub.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/600x/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/l/_/l_photo_479.jpg

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 12:42:15 pm »
Thanks Rober!

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 09:41:25 pm »
just checked the price.....ouch. what's odd is a 5X is more expensive than 10X

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 09:51:26 pm »
Picked up an 15x clip on eye piece for my phone from the Amazon sale. Hope to help some of my older friends see those eggs.