Author Topic: frames and foundation  (Read 3399 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: frames and foundation
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 03:25:19 pm »
Oh, okay.  Thanks for clarifying!
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2017, 07:05:29 pm »
Update,  Had ten frames ready in ten minutes.  So easy I felt guilty.  I wouldn't of had the eyelets in by the time I was finished.  I picked up just fifty of the acorn to see how the bees did with them while I finish up the other fifty sheets of wax I have.  These are the heavy waxed ones.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2017, 07:50:33 pm »
since I now have people to blame if it doesn't work out

YES thats what were here for!   8)

Cotter pins through the holes to hook the mono too works too.
   With that many hives your going to HAVE to kick the snot out of stubbornness and go to plastic... When i had twenty hives they were ALL foundation-less, and i was able to manage the issues and deal with keeping them in line. With three times that many hives, I don;t have the TIME to do it. I bought a thousand sheets of Rite Cell and have not looked back...

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/shop-all-categories/hive-components/foundation/rite-cell-reg/5-5-8-waxed-rite-cell-foundation-black

I love the color, makes spotting eggs possible with naked eyes. The bees draw it out readily... maybe not as eagerly as they did foundation-less but when they NEED comb they do draw it very nicely.
   When the comb gets old, scrape it off, use a heat gun to melt the scraped wax out of the cells, one of the mini foam rollers with hot wax to re wax them and your back in business..   Nope, not as easy as foundation-less, but way less work...    Stinky plastic has its place when your time is premium.
   Scott
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*
The following users thanked this post: Perry

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2017, 12:01:03 am »
YEP, I'm seeing the writing on the wall.  Especially if I am going to keep several of these as hives.  Supers are a whole other set of problems.  I'm always watching for the Mann Lake sales, Now I can add plastic to the watch list.  I've been eating up the budget boxes when I can. 

Being stubborn is double edged sword, If I hadn't been stubborn I'd gave up too soon with the bees.  But as they say. a man has to know his limitations.  Frame work shouldn't take the fun out of it.  If I start switching over to rum I'll start getting worried ;) :t3816:

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 10:09:53 am »
I was almost tempted and still am with the current sale.  Assembled deep frames and foundation 20 for 46 bucks.  I did pick up some more budget deeps and mediums for 10 and 8 dollars.  Thinking about those frames tough still Natural color tough.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 11:05:29 am »
I was almost tempted and still am with the current sale.  Assembled deep frames and foundation 20 for 46 bucks.  I did pick up some more budget deeps and mediums for 10 and 8 dollars.  Thinking about those frames tough still Natural color tough.
Look at   Shastina Millworks.  I bought 8 frame deeps with frames and acorn foundation for about the same price, delivered.  That is their regular price!  Their pine is a bit heavier, and the hive bodies are not as pretty as ML's premium wood...but that didn't bother me very long.  Painted super with frames, delivered for about the same price seems persuasive to me.  (free shipping with $100 order).   :yes:

P.S. if you order, specify lifting cut outs on all four sides or you will get them only on front and back (the commercial way).
Lee_Burough

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 02:09:31 pm »
Thanks Lee, that's a great site to check with.  Glad to hear the equipment is quality stuff.