Author Topic: ventilated outer lids  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Blair Sampson

ventilated outer lids
« on: June 22, 2017, 04:16:23 pm »
Made up several ventilation lids for travel purposes. Used fiberglass screening I had on hand. Will this screening be bee proof or will the girls eat thru this fiberglass window screening? Best to know prior to hitting the road with several hives in tow.   

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: ventilated outer lids
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 05:21:34 pm »
Need pics buddy. I usually just screen the lower entrances and that's enough. Are you traveling by day or night?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Blair Sampson

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 07:03:54 pm »
Packed up 3 hives to take to CB last Tuesday morning. When we got there 2 of my best over-wintered hives had fried. No fun cleaning out 60K bees.  :\'( Don't want to have it happen again. Read where you should add a foundation only super for extra space and use a screened top as opposed to a regular outer cover for extra ventilation so I build a few using fiberglass window screening. Unsure if the bees can chew thru fiberglass screening.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 11:32:37 pm »
The bees could eventually chew through it first chewing of the gray covering and then working on each of the fiberglass filaments till they work through them all, but it will take them weeks to do this. There is a greater chance of the screening getting torn as it can rip fairly easy. So sorry to hear about the hives, what a bad time to loose them at the beginning of the honey flows. Water the bees need it for cooling. I have dumped cups of it through the screen in the front entrance of the hives.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.