Author Topic: Soil Test says I need Lime, and lots of it!  (Read 4626 times)

Offline Newbee

Soil Test says I need Lime, and lots of it!
« on: June 20, 2017, 06:01:33 pm »
So we had a bunch of woods cleared off and are trying to grow pasture grasses on it for our horses. Some patches grew well, but most of it... barely germinated.
Took a soil sample and sent it off to the local University lab, and the results came back my pH is 4.1, and they recommend 3.5 TON's of Lime per acre.

Oy!!!!!!
I had spread about 800 lbs of lime over the area prior to planting, thinking it would help, but my goodness! Total area's maybe a little over an acre.
Obviously I'm not going to use a push-spreader. I don't have a tractor or anything, and I'm guessing you'd have to till the lime into the surface soil rather than just spread it on the ground before the next rain?
Appreciate any advice or suggestions.
Thanks.

- Kevin

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Soil Test says I need Lime, and lots of it!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 07:26:08 pm »
Brooksbeefarm (Jack) might be able to help out if he reads this.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 10:32:49 pm »
Newbie,

Lime recommendations for pasture usually take into account that grass is already there. You shouldn't have a lot of trouble finding someone in your area that will haul and spread it on your field. It tends to be pricey but an application is good for years.
We have very acid soils here also, but 4.1 is really sour. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Newbee

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 07:15:59 pm »
Thanks guys. It was logged 70-ish years ago, and was woods when we had it cleared, so guessing it's been nothing but tree's for the better part of 200+ years? There's a bit of topsoil, but mostly clay.
Still, I was floored when I read the test results and it said 3.5 TON's of lime per acre. Gawd, that'd be a like 4 trips to the store for my pickup with the springs groaning and the bumper scraping!  :laugh:!

- K

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 09:57:52 pm »
I'm the same boat this year on one farm especially.  We usually have someone spread it but this year I'm checking around since the other guy retired.  Lime here spread is about 15-20 dollars a ton spread and it comes from the quarry forty five minutes away.  The problem with a smaller spot is getting someone to do it.  Sack lime is 185 a ton here but its pelletized to run through a speader or fertilize drill.  For a acre or two most people here have to get someone with a tractor to spread it. 

Usually put on in late summer or fall and melts in by spring. I think a lot of that has to do with the ground being drier for the heavy loads.  You could do a couple of tons this year and more the next. But if your having someone to do it it may be better to go ahead and bite the bullet.