Author Topic: 5 over 5 nucs.  (Read 3641 times)

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
Re: 5 over 5 nucs.
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 09:26:06 pm »
Some folks build long langs so they can have two or more hives in one casket :laugh: I mean box where you can stack supers over each separate hive.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 10:43:02 pm »
when our local bee guru got up in years he converted to 5 frame boxes. I saw as many as 8 5 frame boxes in stacks. it worked  for him.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2017, 01:19:36 am »
Nucs...     Always have alot to say about them.. Ted hit most of it well..   having nucs for spare parts as stated is the bees knees.  You don't have to pull resources from a production hive if you have nucs available...
   if you lose a queen, or have a queen failing you can snag a queen out of a nuc, put her into a queen cage and introduce her to the hive that was going south and let the nuc raise a new queen... you dont lose production that way.
   Keeping nucs to replace losses in the spring. A hive lost to mother nature and old man winter replaced with a nuc will most likely produce honey that year if you reuse the drawn frames.
   You can combine a nuc to a queenless hive / newspaper method and end up with a good strong hive with a real chance to produce honey...
   You can pull larvae / graft from a nuc instead of a production hive.
   Let a strong nuc raise queen cells to replace aging queens in your production hives.
   Putting a damaged frame in a nuc usually yields fixed frames of worker cells instead of drone cells.
   You can raise new queens in nucs to sell, or sell the nuc..
   I could go on for a while.. there is limitless possibilities if you have a few nucs ready...

5 frame nucs used as production hives?   I know three people that do it. They are retired, and get into those hives about every week in spring to keep them managed. They are constantly splitting when they get too strong, and selling the extra nucs with people always wanting more than they have.
   One thing to consider if deciding to go with 5 frame boxes.. those guys and one gal put ratchet straps around them when they get over four boxes high (Mediums) They also put them side by side, one hive facing one way, the next hive facing the other way, to keep them from getting blown over in a storm. With the straps binding them together they hold up well if they do get knocked over, but the bees are usually a little miffed when you stand them back up.
   I think when I reach the age I start to have difficulty I will go to 8 frame medium boxes....

I do have to say, my observation hive in my front window does really well being three frames deep and seven boxes high.  I do have to split them twice to three times each year to keep them from swarming.
   Scott
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2017, 10:12:15 am »
Yep to all the above :agree: :yah:  I was starting to get bored and beekeeping turning into a job.  Not much exciting, check hive see brood ad box or not repeat.

With these nucs its been fun again, did they mate, queens cells grab a box weaken a nuc get another mated.  Once the equipment is made I think it will be what was missing.  Having resources to play with and not knocking down the hives that are paying for this makes the decision making very easy.

I can attest to the nucs getting heavy and blowing over, especially in the early spring when everything is more towards the top anyway.  Nothing like trying to put one back together in a hail storm.  And of course the queen always ends up a victim.  Lesson learned.

Trying to maintain them in five frames could be a challenge, although maybe a fun one.  I think the eight frame setup would be perfect depending on your current setup.  If your using deeps maybe do the bottom box that way and incorporate mediums going up.  Just do what ever you have to make sure you don't injure yourself more.  I'm waiting on my back to get back to normal so I can extract. I dread manipulating those supers that are stacked to high.  Kinda takes the fun out of it dreading showing my limitations.

Offline yes2matt

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2017, 01:19:52 pm »
I had really good success with overwintering these 5 over 5 nucs. I sold the first 4 frame nucs out of these on May 30th, and dropped in queen cells I bought the next day. All hatched within 24 hours, but for whatever reason the remaining bees decided they wanted to raise their own and didn't take the planted cells. It set me back 2 weeks but the nucs are jammed again.

I have checked to see which queens have started laying but will have to boost the nucs pre-sale with frames of brood as most of the original brood has hatched out.
Ok, I'm going to try it with 3 or 4 colonies. Nothing to lose but bees. ;)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2017, 03:17:25 pm »
Looks good! :yes: :)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter