Author Topic: Beesuit zippers  (Read 1015 times)

omnimirage

Beesuit zippers
« on: June 20, 2017, 12:58:05 am »
I'm in the market for a beesuit. I've bought quite a number off ebay in the past, and they often break too soon, especially the zippers.

Now I'm seeking to spend more money to acquire something that will actually last longer than a year. I'm paying close attention to the zippers, since they're the weak part of the suit.

I've read lots of good things about Ultrabreeze suits; they have a strong, brass zipper that's very appealing, but the suit is shockingly expensive and seems to have issues shipping internationally.

Now I've found a number of I suppose more midrange suits, that have a plastic YKK zipper, which are being advertised as a quality, durable zipper; I've done my research and spoken to a person who's knowledgeable about zippers, and such has indicated that the YKK zippers are indeed quality and strong.

Now my knowledgeable friend told me that I'm best to stick with a metal zipper, as they're simply much stronger than the plastic ones, but I'm having difficulties finding suits with a metal zipper.

Does anyone have any experience with these plastic YKK zippers? Should I stick to purchasing exclusively suits with metal zippers?

In case it's of interest, the suit that I'm considering purchasing, with the alleged strong, plastic YKK zipper, is here:

http://www.beekeepinggear.com.au/product-page/beekeeping-suit-oz-armour-ventilated-double-layers-super-cool

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Beesuit zippers
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 07:14:01 am »
I have a couple Ultrabreeze and the zippers are brass like you mention, no problems.
I also have suits with plastic zippers and I haven't had them fail. Mostly the stitching on veils is what gives me problems.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 10:04:30 am »
Cheers, Bill

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 10:45:49 am »
I tried on an ultra breeze & a couple of the other ventilated suits & found them to be too heavy for me. my 1st suit was this one.
https://www.kelleybees.com/Shop/27/Protective-Clothing/Jackets/4769/Cotton-Pullover-Jacket-with-Folding-Veil
I've had to patch some holes but I still wear it. you have to pick up on the hat after putting it on to get the neck area from laying on your neck.
I also wear this one.
https://www.kelleybees.com/Shop/27/Protective-Clothing/Jackets/4769/Cotton-Pullover-Jacket-with-Folding-Veil
I carry dry t-shirts in the truck to change into after checking hives.
I've seen others wearing the really inexpensive ebay suits & thought they looked pretty cheesy.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 12:52:16 am »
3Reds wears the MannLake Provent suit.  It has plastic zippers, but hasn't failed.  What I really like about her suit is that they actually thought to put in a pocket for the hive tool!

Never argue with drunks or crazy people