Author Topic: When are hivelocks worthwhile?  (Read 1070 times)

omnimirage

When are hivelocks worthwhile?
« on: June 19, 2017, 09:18:31 pm »
In case people aren't sure what I'm referring to, I'm talking about these:

http://www.qualitybeekeepingsupplies.com.au/index.php/catalogue/content/19-hive-locks

I haven't been using them mostly due to their cost. I'm coming to find a lot of my home-made lids are warping, and from I've gathered, having a pressure placed on the top of the hive can help hold it together. Since then, I've been placing bricks ontop of my hive, but not sure if it'd be best to buy hivelocks instead.

Someone suggested to me to get some wire, and build individual locks on all my supers, to lock them all together. Seems like it'd work well but is perhaps a bit too time intensive.

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
Re: When are hivelocks worthwhile?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 11:00:12 pm »
 I use cinder blocks or rocks and bricks to  hold the hive tops in place.  If moving I use a ratchet strap.  You have to remember bee supplie houses are in the market to make money and will offer Items not really needed to make a sell.
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 12:44:53 pm »
In Australia you have humidity chances that most in other parts of the world can not imagine. It comes down to building the tops out of materials that are not effected as much by humidity and what ever it takes to hold the lids from warping. Have you considered immersing the lids in paraffin wax to seal them against moisture? For what it is worth For me in my area I don't put anything on my hived to hold down the covers or worry about warping. You need to figure out what you need foe your area
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

omnimirage

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 08:08:37 pm »
I haven't consider that apisbees, but it's an interesting idea. I'll look into it thanks.

Offline SmokeyBee

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 08:10:23 am »
Don't know anything about them, but I find these hives very interesting. They're certainly not affected by humidity changes:

https://www.amazon.com/Apimaye-Langstroth-Insulated-Frames-included/dp/B01I5LU3YI/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1498219702&sr=8-27&keywords=Beehive