Author Topic: Starting Early?  (Read 1563 times)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Starting Early?
« on: June 19, 2017, 12:23:27 am »
Well it's started and it's about a month early. I extracted 300lbs. of honey from two hives yesterday and they had more med. supers full be not capped :o 6 nuc's i started and put in 10 frame deep hive body's have now one full med. super on them ful but not capped i have put another super on. I have hives in Hickory, and St.. Clair Counties  that are two deep brood boxes with 4& 5 supers on them that are mostly capped. I'm not complaining, but i didn't intend  to start this early? The sweet clover is in full bloom and the Sumac hasn't started yet! but is working on it. :eusa_wall: Jack

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Starting Early?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 01:35:38 am »
That's Terrific Jack! Now if it turns out that you end up with too much honey, you feel free to ship some of it to me... ya hear? I will pay for the honey and the shipping..  ;) 8)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Sour Kraut

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 07:35:41 pm »
Pulled 35 medium frames this afternoon.

13 frames from my 'experimental square hive', 7 from a 10-framer, and 15 from another 10 framer

There's at least that much more not fully capped that will come off in a week or so.

And they are bring it in like mad..more so since about an inch of rain over the weekend..no idea from where since I'm nearly dead-center with 7 colonies in a city of 20 K.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:06:34 pm »
Big flow going on here too. Blackberry is on and clover starting as well. I have just about every super I own out there, about 240 of them. :)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 10:59:41 pm »
Your lucky Perry, i use to put 2 to 4 empty med. supers on when the Dandelions are in bloom :yes: Not any more :no: the SHB's would have a field day. So far i've kept ahead of them. Hope you never get them up there. Jack

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 08:14:53 am »
That's wonderful, Jack!   :occasion14:
I didn't think I was going to have any crop this year.  I wasn't able to work my hives this spring like I needed to.  I had to combine when my goal was to be doing splits.  After I pull my honey off, I hope to do some splits, oh yeah, and mite treatments.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 10:57:28 am »
I've pulled about 4 supers worth so far. I've been going thru supers & trading out the capped frames with drawn comb. I'm not going to get as much honey as last year but it shouldn't be too bad of a harvest. my sweet yellow & crimson clovers are already going to seed but the Russian sage is kicking in bigtime.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 11:36:30 am »
Rober, mine too along with the Vitex and the Moon flowers are not far behind. These three will keep going to almost Frost. :yes: Jack

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 11:46:40 pm »
I'm behind the eight ball this year.  I pulled my queen from my main hive to start a NUC which I am using as a resource hive.  The hive I pulled the queen from made a new queen and she is laying like crazy but they spent more time making bee bread and backfilling the honey in the two brood boxes.  They are finally starting to work a medium super.  We retrieved one swarm but no queen.  Pulled a frame from the resource hive and a queen hatched out but she disappeared.  Just added another frame of brood and eggs (notched several areas).  So now I wait on another queen to hatch.  Also bought two splits and started two NUCS, so not much going on honeywise but they are busy drawing comb for the queens to lay eggs in.  It's okay as long as I can go into the fall with five strong hives.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 07:47:44 am »
Rober, mine too along with the Vitex and the Moon flowers are not far behind. These three will keep going to almost Frost. :yes: Jack
Jack, my vitex started blooming this past weekend.  Coneflowers too.  I saw little green sweat bees gathering pollen from the coneflowers like crazy.
I ordered some nematodes and applied them in April.  That has really cut down on the SHB problems.