Author Topic: Missing but not lost.  (Read 3453 times)

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Missing but not lost.
« on: June 18, 2017, 12:53:30 am »
It has been a while and I have thought of many of you often. My absence was not the result of any thing any one on the forum said or did. I just needed to get caught up on some of my other chores. and having 4 computers go down all in a row and so been using the one that has been hooked up to the TV but it is to far away to read some of the text and it is a pain to type using the  ON SCREEN KEY BOARD so I vowed not to visit the forum till I got one of the desktops up and working.
A lots been happening in the last while. The fall fair went well and we had an excellent display as always. The interest in entering honey in the competition has been really encouraging. We had lots of entries in all category. Both in hive products, (honey, frames of honey, creamed honey, cut comb honey, and comb honey, observation hives, pollen, and chunk honey). As well in the Baking with Honey Classes. To promote honey use, the director of the honey division in the 1980's got 6 baking with honey classes added to the backing division. In 1998 was the first year I judged the honey competition and in about 2005 the baking with honey was moved into the honey division as the bee display was moved into another building away from the baking displays. So from about 2005 I have been judging these classes as well. We have (Jams and marmalade's made with honey, Fruit canned with honey, 3 different jars of fruit. Cookies made with Honey, 3 (any type) Uniced Loaf /Bread made with Honey. Junior Section-Muffins made with Honey, no fruit 3. Teen Section-Cookies made with honey, 3)
For these classes Beekeepers from the club\area donate honey for prizes these classes. 1st prize is 1Kg about $13.00 retail value. In the cash prize for first place it has been $5.00 raised to $8.00 this year. So it raises interest in using honey in cooking.

Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: Missing but not lost.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 01:02:10 am »
Very pleased to hear from you, Apis. Your presence here has been missed. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 01:41:56 am »
Next bit of news
The north Okanagan club has agreed to hold the annual provincial conference this year in Kelowna. BC this will be a 3 day event with wine and cheese party and a banquet with entertainment. it will also include a trade show and honey and mead competition. In conjunction with the convention, the Canadian Honey Counsel, and CAPA (Canadian Association of Professional Agriculturalist) will also be meeting in Kelowna  at the same time so we will have access to scientist and researcher who are working with bees from all across Canada. There have been a few respected names offered up but I will not post any till they have been confirmed and the program has been finalized. I get the privilege of judging the honey and supervising the mead judging. (Drinking, well Just tasting it). We have the next conference directors meeting on Monday.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 05:46:39 am »
Good to see you Apisbees.
One of my outyard owners toured through Banff and then the Okanagan. They brought me back a t-shirt from Planet Bee in Vernon. I told them they were only a few doors down from my younger brother.
With all that judging in the food categories you are doing I would be as round as a pumpkin! :D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 09:31:43 am »
Glad to see you back as well Apis.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 10:25:09 am »
Welcome back Apis!  You've been missed!
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 10:53:11 am »
Welcome back, we have missed your inputs.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 01:40:48 pm »
Yes welcome back  :yes:
Cheers, Bill

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 01:58:49 pm »
Well Apis, this was my second year at making nucs with queen cells, and waiting patiently with our weather here for queens to get mated. You taught me so much last year and I forgot some it your teachings, but the forum helped me get thru. To date, I have sold 5 medium nucs making $500. So glad you are back  ;D
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 02:47:45 pm »
Good to see you Apisbees.
One of my outyard owners toured through Banff and then the Okanagan. They brought me back a t-shirt from Planet Bee in Vernon. I told them they were only a few doors down from my younger brother.
With all that judging in the food categories you are doing I would be as round as a pumpkin! :D
Not all of the cooking is of the best taste and quality but every year there are some outstandingly good entries. last year there was a uniced loaf that was perfect It was moist, no need for butter or any spread, incredible taste, and beautiful golden brown crust.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 11:02:59 pm »
apis.........
dang, so happy you were just 'missing' and not 'lost'..........

many, including myself have missed your presence on the forum and your extensive knowledge of bees and always at the ready to help others.
happy to see you back and welcome back keith!!!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 08:18:06 am »
Apis
Nice to have you back.
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 10:43:27 am »
I remember a craft fair around 1973( it was the year that Nixon enabled a price freeze ) in southern B.C.. it was on a farm that was close to & might have been on the U.S. border. it was an interesting affair with an outdoor bar that was selling home brew for $.60 per quart. Joni Mitchel sat in with a local string band on Saturday night & played one of the dulcimers I was building & bought an Irish harp from Jay Titus the next day. I was staying on Galiano island at the time. twas an interesting year. the last time I was in B.C. was when St Helen blew.
welcome back

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 12:17:14 pm »
I remember a craft fair around 1973( it was the year that Nixon enabled a price freeze ) in southern B.C.. it was on a farm that was close to & might have been on the U.S. border. it was an interesting affair with an outdoor bar that was selling home brew for $.60 per quart. Joni Mitchel sat in with a local string band on Saturday night & played one of the dulcimers I was building & bought an Irish harp from Jay Titus the next day. I was staying on Galiano island at the time. twas an interesting year. the last time I was in B.C. was when St Helen blew.
welcome back

Man, you just gave away your age oldtimer! :laugh:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 12:33:35 pm »
And there is one more piece of the puzzle to Rober's very interesting life. Seriously Rober, you should write a book  ;) 8)

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 02:02:28 pm »
Computers!!!
First my laptop slid of the hood of the car while unlocking the car door when leaving a bee meeting, cracking the screen.
Then the fan in the video card on my daughters computer was not keeping the card cool enough and caused the computer to crash with the blue screen of death. It did it twice.
After that the power supply packed it in on the computer in my office. In the process corrupting files and causing mutable issues in it performance. It is the one I am typing on now but need to redo the operating system on it.
The computer that was connected to the TV, the motherboard fried and it quit working so the computer that I use for visual presentations at the fair is now hooked to the TV. The video card then failed on this computer and needed to be replaced.
And if I didn't have enough computer crap to deal with of my own My daughter and son inlaw have crashed they home computer 3 times to blue screen and has brought over 3 laptops for me to get working and running better for them.
OH and I have to add my cousin that every other week has a major computer problem And when I tell him what to do he always trying to find an easier way.

This is the computer I am typing this posting from, It is running but has issues and the operating system need to be redone. None of the restores and repair I have run have fixed all the problems. I had to switch from Firefox to Opera in order to post the photo The postimg would not come up in Firefox.
I need to redo the operating system but that will require cleaning off a 2 terabyte hard drive before reinstalling.
OK I will quite venting and whining now!

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 02:38:57 pm »
I hear ya Apis! At least once a day I want to go back and live like the Waltons.

There are stores where you can walk in and walk out in half an hour and come home with a dependable computer.... laptops are great!

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 10:28:17 pm »
Computers!!!

This looks a lot like a lab project I had in college! :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 05:50:44 am »
Computers!!!

This looks a lot like a lab project I had in college!
:)

Did you pass?  ;D :laugh:
Forum Supporter

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 01:03:48 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh:
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a