Author Topic: Poisonous honey?  (Read 6601 times)

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
Poisonous honey?
« on: June 12, 2017, 03:31:52 pm »
I was told of an area, not too far from my home, with large numbers of flowering Heliotropium weeds (family Boraginaceae) and wanted to find out how long I could expect the flowering to last.  In the process of collecting information about the plant, I was stunned to learn that, not only is the plant poisonous ("tea" made from leaf infusions has caused deaths), but the nectar contains poisonous alkaloids.  It wasn't stated quite definitely, but the implications were clear that the honey could also be poisonous.
Does anyone have any first hand information about this, or of any other common plant source that might produce poisonous honey?

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Poisonous honey?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 10:53:55 pm »
efmesch, history books tell us about how the invading Roman army was defeated by mad honey in 67 B.C.  The Romans were invading a region of the Black Sea.  The Romans were defeated by jars of mad honey left along the road by the Heptakometes in Turkey.  This region of the Black Sea is home to Rhododendrons that contain grayanotoxin.  They still produce mad honey today.  Other poisonous plants that could be toxic to humans also contain grayanotoxin.  Another plant species containing grayanotoxin is oleander.

Honestly, I don't know how alkaloids and grayanotoxin are connected or if they are the same. 

We have a native Heliotropium here, although I wouldn't think it is the same as you have there.  Borage is a good nectar plant, so I can see members of the Boraginaceae family having the same characteristics.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 12:42:06 am »
Well, Bakers, as long as your answering these kinds of questions ...

I had a couple approach me at our club meeting tonight with a question about Angel Trumpet.  They were worried that the hallucinogenic effects might hurt their feral bees.  I assured them that the bees knew what they were doing and would avoid it if it were toxic to them.  Apparently the bees love the plant.  But I didn't have an opinion as to whether the honey would be safe to eat. 

It won't matter, I guess, since they say they will never harvest the honey.  The bees live in a tree, and their only interest in the bees is to make sure they have plenty of bee friendly plants for the bees.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 08:08:29 am »
Well, Bakers, as long as your answering these kinds of questions ...

It won't matter, I guess, since they say they will never harvest the honey.  The bees live in a tree, and their only interest in the bees is to make sure they have plenty of bee friendly plants for the bees.
We need more aware people who have that kind of concern!

I am not an authority.  I am the honey plants vice president of my local bee club, so topics such as this one catch my attention.  If I have an opportunity to learn something that I might be able to pass on, I am interested.

So,  Angel's Trumpets or Brugmansia is poisonous and honey bees do love them.  The article in this magazine http://www.countryfile.com/countryside/top-ten-plants-are-bad-bees says that Angel's Trumpet can cause brood death.
Would the honey be safe to eat?  Probably, because it would be diluted down with hundreds of thousands of other sources. Generally, when there is only one source for pollen and nectar, that is when a problem could arise.   

This blog talks about specific instances of poisoning and some species that are toxic. https://missapismellifera.com/2014/11/11/winter-studies-the-poison-honey/

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:01:41 am »
Thanks Bakers. As usual, you've added a little something extra.

I've passed this information on to my club members.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people