Author Topic: Rain and nectar production  (Read 3415 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Rain and nectar production
« on: June 12, 2017, 09:10:06 am »
Hey Everyone.  We are in the middle of our clover flow, white dutch clover and sweet yellow clover, but have had no rain and excessive temps (90's F) for the last three weeks.  Our yard is turning brown in spots, but both clovers mentioned are blooming like crazy.  I'm guessing that without adequate rainfall there will be precious little nectar which translates into a poor honey crop.  The bees are adding honey to the supers but very slowly.  What do you think/know?  Are we dead in the water until it rains again?  We'll have the answer in a few more weeks but I'm tired of wondering about it and hope one of you can set me straight.  Thanks, Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Rain and nectar production
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 10:11:02 am »
“Nectar secretion or production is affected by such environmental factors as soil type, soil condition, altitude, latitude, length of day, light conditions, and weather. Such soil conditions as fertility, moisture, and acidity may affect not only the growth of the plant but also the secretion of nectar. Luxuriant plant growth does not necessarily imply that maximum nectar secretion will take place. At times, limited growth results in increased nectar production. Clear, warm, windless days are likely to favor nectar secretion.” (Nectar and Pollen Plants by Everett Oertel, 1958). 

tedh, Oertel explains how there are many factors that come into play when it comes to a nectar flow.  Honey bees and honey production is really quite an accomplishment when you consider all these variables.

The forecast I heard for this area was a chance of rain midweek.  Maybe you will get some too.  This hot, dry weather is bad timing for you.  The clovers are the main source of nectar in this area. I would bet that the moisture level of the honey is fairly low.
The following users thanked this post: Lburou, tedh

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 11:57:51 am »
It is normal at our location in Texas to have six weeks of hot, dry weather in the middle of summer.  We hope to have two minor flows each year, one in spring and one in fall.  In Wyoming, which is much drier than North Central Texas, we had a small early flow and small intermittent flows until fall.   Like B12 says, a single rain can make a huge difference to your bees when it is so dry.  Being in an urban setting where people irrigate their yards and gardens can provide some nectar in a drought too (I don't know where you live Ted).

We fed during the month of May this year, which is usually our best month for nectar flow.  Bees were starving.  I don't ride on the hysterical global warming bandwagon, but, it is a sure thing we are still coming out of the last ice age, and have been warming for 10,000 years.  The Great Plains are located in one of those areas affected by the sun cycles and earth's wobbling.  Some of those cycles add up to very dry weather on the high plains.   It was so dry in parts of Eastern Colorado and Western Nebraska & Kansas in 2000-2001 (I think), that the prairie stayed brown all summer!  Be ready to feed when the bees need it. 

Becoming a good beekeeper forces you to look at nature and the weather in different ways than before...I hope you get some rain Ted!    :)
Lee_Burough
The following users thanked this post: tedh

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 12:57:48 pm »
Thanks Guys.  My fears have been confirmed and while that may not feel good, at least I've received straight answers which will eliminate my guessing and second guessing.  I appreciate your responces.  As a farmer I understand how important rainfall is and how the "right" amount of rain at the proper time can make up for a dry season.  Here's hoping for rain over the next week or so.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 02:04:20 pm »
Well Ted, I was preaching to the choir about watching the weather...   :-[ :laugh:
Lee_Burough

Offline Some Day

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 03:36:51 pm »
Yes, it has been warm and dry here in Iowa.  Sunday was very warm, I saw a coyote chasing a rabbit, and they were both walking.

My son-in-law harvested some honey last week and it tested at 16% moisture.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 05:41:51 pm »
Do you have to add moisture with that low of %.
17.2 to 18 is what you want ,that's what I thought I read ?

Offline Some Day

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 05:54:44 pm »
At the Iowa State Fair the judges are looking for 16.5% moisture  You get deductions for every .1% above that.  I don't know about lower than 16.5% for grading.

Offline rcannon

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 09:07:31 pm »
We've been in a drought all spring but managed a fair crop. Looks like it was mostly palmetto. I didn't test the moisture content, but it was so thick it wouldn't hardly flow through a 500 micron sieve.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 06:28:09 am »
Moisture in plants is a big factor in harvest conditions. Last year goldenrod was blooming like crazy but it was so dry here that I barely got a fall harvest, the plants just go into preservation mode and hand on to the moisture.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 07:28:21 am »
Moisture in plants is a big factor in harvest conditions. Last year goldenrod was blooming like crazy but it was so dry here that I barely got a fall harvest, the plants just go into preservation mode and hand on to the moisture.

Too much rain can have just the opposite effect.  Rain can wash all the nectar out of the blossoms.  This isn't relevant in tedh's case. 
Timing is critical for pollination in some plants.  Pumpkins, watermelon and squash need pollination around mid-morning.  If the temperature is too hot, the blossoms will close up early and fruit won't set. 

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 07:49:31 am »
from what  I've read clover produce more nectar at higher temperatures. drought of course will slow that process down but the right combination of moisture & heat are beneficial. we had daily monsoon rains early in our flow  & that cost me a lot of honey. the flowers were washed clean, had no breaks in the rain to recover, & the girls weren't flying. now we're in a dry spell. my hives are making honey but not as much as in past years. would it be practical for you to water your clover?

Offline cpekarek

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 08:38:20 am »
We haven't had rain for 2 weeks and it's been 10° to 15° hotter than normal. There is plenty of clover but the bees are only on the clover in irrigated areas.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 09:28:27 am »
Our yard is just under 5 acres so watering is not an option.  Good thought though.

Does anyone ever think that "things" hang in a very delicate balance?  Reminds me of a friend.  Whenever I would ask how he was he'd respond with, "I believe the tumor is putting just enough pressure on the aneurysm to keep it from blowing, my life hangs in a fragile and precarious balance".  His having neither a tumor nor an aneurysm I always found his responce rather odd and silly.  It makes more and more sense all the time if taken as an analogy.  I apologize for getting off track.  Ted

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 11:06:57 am »
This is our upcoming forecast and no rain since Mid March, things were booming till then. Bees are still working and storing nectar, but slow and dearth is very near... They seem busiest in mid morning and slow way down in the afternoon. Our feral bees are working more than the Italian bees and also have more stores.

Cheers, Bill

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 02:44:26 pm »
...our feral bees are working more than the Italian bees and also have more stores.
We had a month without nectar here during most of May.  My two feral hives did much better over that period of time.  I'd like to keep some of the best characteristics of those bees by keeping them in the local gene pool.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline cpekarek

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 10:22:35 pm »
Quite a hot forecast Nugget Shooter but of course it is a 'dry heat'. Yikes! How does the comb keep from melting?

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 08:08:44 am »
We are getting some much needed gentle rain this morning.  Maybe it's headed your way, tedh.

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 09:44:39 am »
Quite a hot forecast Nugget Shooter but of course it is a 'dry heat'. Yikes! How does the comb keep from melting?

I often wonder if it is easier for the bees to cool the hive or keep it warm when 10 below zero  :-\ but they do fine here even when broiling hot. But if hives are set in direct all day sun I have been told wax can and does sometimes melt in the hive. We keep ours in mottled sun and in the hottest months we use a shade board above the outer cover with a block between to keep any direct sun off the top.

I will say our solar wax melter works very well when we use it  :yes:
Cheers, Bill

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 09:50:30 am »
IT'S RAINING!!!!

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 01:06:32 pm »
Good news Ted, nothing for us in the foreseeable future, perhaps July if we get lucky.....
Cheers, Bill