Author Topic: transitioning to all mediums  (Read 2781 times)

Offline rt1068

transitioning to all mediums
« on: June 08, 2017, 08:52:02 am »
Hello all,
I installed two deep nucs a few weeks ago and all is going well.  Eventually, I would like to transition everything to mediums and was wondering what the best way to accomplish that would be.  Hopefully this isnt a dumb question but I am very new and I havent been able to find info on moving from deeps to mediums.  But, admittedly, I just may not be looking in the right place for the information.  Thanks in advance for your advice.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: transitioning to all mediums
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 09:34:48 am »
I wonder if you could do like people who do cut-outs?  When removing comb from an established hive, they cut the comb down to fit inside a standard frame, using rubber bands to hold the comb in place until the bees attach it to the top, bottom and sides.

It would be disruptive to the bees, but you wouldn't lose much brood, or comb.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people
The following users thanked this post: rt1068

Offline yes2matt

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 11:55:09 am »
Do you have a deep box, 8 or 10 frame? Or you could make one from a medium box × shim. Put the deep brood frames in the box and load it with medium frames, then gradually work the deeps to the outside as the bees draw out and use the mediums, eventually to toss the deep frames, scrape off any excess combs from the mediums and super up from there.

Or you could buy/fabricate some 5 frame medium boxes and super them on your deep nuc, then when the bees move their nest up, put them into 8 or 10 fr boxes.

Either way is gonna take some time. I would feed very light syrup  to encourage speedy drawing of comb.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Offline rt1068

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 12:34:43 pm »
I currently have 2 hives, each with a 10 frame deep.  I went with the deeps because that is what the nucs were that I purchased to get started.  Eventually, I would like to transition to all mediums.  I realize it will take time, but I wanted to make sure I was doing things the best way possible.  Thanks!

Do you have a deep box, 8 or 10 frame? Or you could make one from a medium box × shim. Put the deep brood frames in the box and load it with medium frames, then gradually work the deeps to the outside as the bees draw out and use the mediums, eventually to toss the deep frames, scrape off any excess combs from the mediums and super up from there.

Or you could buy/fabricate some 5 frame medium boxes and super them on your deep nuc, then when the bees move their nest up, put them into 8 or 10 fr boxes.

Either way is gonna take some time. I would feed very light syrup  to encourage speedy drawing of comb.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 12:51:42 pm »
Find the queen and put a queen excluder where can only lay in the mediums, when all brood have hatched out your half way there and can remove a deep at a time.

Offline Some Day

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 01:19:06 pm »
You can place medium frames in the deep brood box between the deep frames.  The bees will draw out comb on the bottom of the mediums, but it will be mostly drone comb.  After the medium frames are filled with capped brood move the medium frames up into the medium super.  You can sacrifice the drone comb which will also kill any Varroa mites that are in the drone cells.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 02:09:56 pm »
All good advice. I only have one hive left that starts with a deep. I learned from a bee pro here on the forum, LazyBkpr, his apiary is now all med, he'll prob chime in here.

Pretty much the same advice. As soon as your deep is about 70% filled with brood, eggs, larvae, pollen, honey... put your medium with frames on top. Keep and eye on how fast that med fills up, when it's 70% full, add another medium. Keep going that way. In late Fall the bees will be starting to cluster in the top meds. That is the time your deep will probably be empty. Kick that deep out, and lower the rest of the stack.

Feed this hive 1:1 syrup, it stimulates the bees to pull wax.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 06:03:04 pm »
All great advice,  if you have deep bottom boxes the same size 8 or 10 frames. Why not just keep'em on bottom boards as permanent brood chambers. You'll never have to lift. You already have the equipment. Use if ya can.

Offline rt1068

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 09:56:07 pm »
That's a really good point.  :D

All great advice,  if you have deep bottom boxes the same size 8 or 10 frames. Why not just keep'em on bottom boards as permanent brood chambers. You'll never have to lift. You already have the equipment. Use if ya can.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 11:21:16 am »
My favorite wintering configuration is a deep and a medium.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 05:50:03 pm »
Lee, what's your. % of cold temps. And for how long. We have a short winter here but at times it can get very cold.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 07:03:48 pm »
Mikey, I'm not sure how to answer and "%" questions, but we have a mild winter here.  Typical coldest day would be in the teens, sometimes in single digits for a week or so, then it worms up...Record cold is -10 F.  I have used the deep and medium in Alaska and Wyoming too.  :)
Lee_Burough
The following users thanked this post: Mikey N.C.