Author Topic: The trip.  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Alleyyooper

The trip.
« on: June 04, 2017, 07:26:12 am »
The plan was to get to the granddaughters graduation on Thursday the 1st of June and avoid Chicago. The route would take us thru Michigan’s UP.  Trip according to map quest would take 13 hours and some minutes, with a fuel cost of $63.00, bridge crossing fare of $4.00.

The start of the trip was a beautiful morning but there were scattered rain showers in the forecast. We made it to I 69 where traffic was I believe normal for the time of the morning when many were rushing to Jobs in Flint and surrounding areas.

We finally ran into rain just north of Gaylord, but it was light and not the gully washing type so the wipers only had to run at the first click on the intermittent control. It had stopped with just heavy over cast skies as we crossed the big Mac Bridge. I say to the lady toll taker on the north side beautiful day isn’t it. She said yes it was as it wasn’t freezing rain and snow. We make the turn expecting to see new signs on US 2 raising the speed limit to 65 from 55 MPH but that didn’t happen.

Been across US 2 many a time as it is the route to our cabin on Big Bay De Noc, and many a fishing trip in the past with Dad and the rest of the family,  I set the cruise at 63 MPH. Wasn’t long and the rain started lightly falling again, We reach the point that in July is a problem area on the road as it runs just feet from the water where tourist park on the shoulder of the road to walk the beach, swim and wade in the Lake Michigan waves. But it isn’t a day where most would like to do that so we didn’t have to avoid those persons when would pull off the road in front of you and make U turns. Just pass that stretch of road we are still near the lake but there is a buffer zone of woods much wider.

Soon I am seeing swarms of flying insects doing some sort of swirling dance in the over cast skies about 50 to 60 feet up. I am thinking I am really glad they are that high up as they would sure mess up a person’s vision if they were to splatter on the wind shield at that rate I was seeing them. They were so thick they appeared as a cloud of black smoke when you first see them.

Soon we are over a mile from the shores of Lake Michigan and I stopped seeing them but just after Nubinway back along the shore line just a couple hundred yards away at the most their back. I run into a low flying cloud of them and they splattered on the windshield really good making a mess. I am afraid to use the wipers and washer fluid as I am sure they would make a smearing mess, and I could still see fairly well. Just after Gulliver it starts to lightly rain again, I am still afraid to use the wipers and make a mess I cannot see thru so I still do not turn on the wipers, I am thank full I had taken the time at home to apply rain x to the wind shield a couple of times. Finally arrive at Manistique Stop at the first gas station I come to and use the window washing station to clean those bugs off the wind shield. Best I could figure out they were stone flies.

We decide to have lunch in Manistique, We debate stopping at the cabin and check things out on the way out but decided in the end to wait till on the way home, Kare also playing with her smart phone says if I go south on 41 then turn on 29 in Wisconsin we are 4.5 hours away from at Eau Clair where we are going. I stop at the brand new shinny Meijer’s in Escanaba for fuel for the truck. We had topped it off at home for 2.29 a gallon, it was 2.34in Escanaba average at most stations. I have been surprised for many years that Wal Mart does not have a fuel station yet, with the parking lot as huge as it is. I now expect to see one now that Meijer’s has built and has a station nearby.

The Rest of the trip is without incident but some sights along the way sure makes this farm boy scratch his head in wonder. 
There is a farmer in a field huge tractor pulling huge planters planting; next field has another again huge tractor with a hay bine putting hay on the ground. Yet the field next to it has another huge tractor and a chisel plow working the soil for planting.  Nearing Wausau I spy a haybine being pulled by a double team of horses. Of course the hay bine will not work unless there is a power unit to supply PTO power. So of course there is the double team (4) horses then the sulky power unit and haybine. Why not just use a tractor and forget the horses? Not sure if they are Mennonites or Amish folks?   

We arrive in Eau Claire 12 hours and 22 minutes from the time we started, stopped for 2 meals and one gas fill up on the pickup. Fuel cost is sort of hard to calculate since we had topped off with a full tank before the trip start and pumped in $38.00 in Escanaba.

totally surprised the granddaughter. Surprised me also with so many in the know and face book.

;D  Al

your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Alleyyooper

Re: The trip.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 07:44:15 am »

Surprise complete. First grand kid will be off to Colorado state come fall with an nice scholor ship.
Go Bufflos

;D  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.