Author Topic: Mile Stone?  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
Mile Stone?
« on: May 29, 2017, 12:41:08 pm »
I was out doing inspections today and everything is doing well except for one hive I have been trying to get to make a queen, lots of bees now from all the new brood over the last few weeks. Anyway I found my self already knowing what to do without my first instinct being to ask at the forums  :yes: Then pondering last year and this my second year of beekeeping I have realized I am starting to get it and have learned  :yes: And I give credit to you folks as well as the dozens of books I have read, still allot to learn, but I now know the answer in most cases without having to ask which makes beekeeping much less stressful and suddenly totally relaxing as well as a growing passion.

So anyway I did a newspaper combine with the queen-less hive on top of another hive that was only a single deep, but almost ready for a second. I guess my timing was right and the returning foragers are looking confused a moment and then simply going into one of the hives on either side of their previous location. Little bit of hub-bub at the entrance, but allowed in with their loads with no fighting.

Coolest part of todays inspection was seeing 3 medium honey supers with most frames 1/3 to 3/4 full of capped and uncapped honey on our biggest hives (one on each) with lots of bees working the frames. This and plenty of stores in bottom 2 deeps  ;D

So thanks all for your help along the way and though part of the learning curve involves understanding how fast things can go wrong as well as how fast I can mess things up without thinking them out or overthinking , but I am sure going to stick with it and keep plugging away  :laugh:

A mile stone I think for me  I guess.

Cheers, Bill

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Mile Stone?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 01:36:16 pm »
Enjoyed your story Nug! And that's what we do, soldier on. I can't begin to count how many times my timing was not right... and the bees just sigh, shake their heads and fix what I've messed up.  ;) 8)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 08:48:32 pm »
Keep up the good work and also stay alert for the next what now moment. Remember this is BEEKEEPING.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 10:07:41 pm »
Personal growth at our age is something to celebrate!   :yes:
Lee_Burough