Author Topic: Need some advice pretty quickly - leaking bucket!!!!  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Salmo

Need some advice pretty quickly - leaking bucket!!!!
« on: May 28, 2017, 05:48:39 pm »
So, just got my 2 nucs into the boxes Saturday morning, added the new store bought pail feeders with fresh 1:1.  I noticed late in the afternoon on Sunday,  when the weather warmed up, that there was a large number of ants and a slick of liquid, didn't take long to figure what it was.  However I can't see anything wrong with the buckets, I took it into the house, filled it turned it into the sink than onto paper towel and it didn't leak.

I cleaned up around the hive and scalded the ants, put the bucket back and checked in a few hours later and all's seems fine. 

Is this related to the temp change, why one bucket but not the other and finally should I toss it and go for the ladder type feeders before serious damage occurs? Is this common with buckets and mesh vs home made bucket feeders?

Would appreciate some advise , this is only day 3 of beekeeping and we really don't want to stress the out or worse.

Thanks Randall

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
Re: Need some advice pretty quickly - leaking bucket!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 07:37:01 pm »
As temperature rises and syrup warms up there is more pressure in the feeders and they leak a bit until equalized now and then,  that would be my guess.
Cheers, Bill

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 01:58:52 am »
Another possibility could be the change of barometric pressure:  As the atmospheric pressure in the environment drops, the presure inside the bucket becomes relatively higher and the air inside the bucket expands, thus pushing out the syrup inside. Another way of saying the same thing (in terms probably more to the liking of a physicist) would be to say that a reduction in the atmospheric pressure would mean less "push" holding the syrup inside the bucket, resulting in leakage of the syrup till the pressure insisde and outside the pucket become balanced.
Bottom line, it's nothing to be concerned about.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 06:28:51 am »
I use feeder buckets.  I always double check to make sure I have the lid on securely.  I learned the hard way.  A little gap some where and you will have a mess.
Good luck with your beekeeping adventure!

Offline Salmo

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 06:38:07 am »
It dropped about 3 liters into 24 hours, so it was a lot for the bees to handle.  Again, this is only 3 days into beekeeping and the cluster of bees at the entrance , which at first I thought normal, now makes me wonder if they were not trying to avoid the waterfall of sugar water.  Will monitor it today and worst case, I'll plug the screen, invert it and pop some small nail holes and try that, else it's the ladder feeder I guess.

Thanks for responding , Randall

Offline SmokeyBee

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 07:13:53 am »
I'm also a new beekeeper, but my bees can easily go through a quart per hive per day. My bees refuse to use the metric system ;D

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 07:42:07 am »
Three liters in 24 hours   :o  ---I suppose that's a bit too much to blame on changes in atmospheric pressure.  I shift my diagnosis in favor of Bakersdozen's comment (reply #3).
I'm sure you'll overcome it and take the leak in stride.  We beekeepers, new or old, are always learning new things.  That's why we are here----the composite intelligence of the forum keeps us all on track.  And it also gives us encouragement----SOOOO---welcome to the forum.  I hope you find your stay here to be productive.
Giving up isn't one of the options we flaunt here.  :no:
The following users thanked this post: Lburou

Offline Salmo

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 08:19:15 pm »
Thanks everyone, I think my hive is right again.  I spoke with my local supplier and his experience didn't help, but suggested checking the level.   I decided to pickup another bucket, just in case it was somehow defective.  This evening I adjusted the level and replaced the bucket and checked it a couple hours later and all seems fine.   

I figured out from my other hive, the 4 frame nucs are sucking back 1 liter/quart a day and the bees look great.

Thanks again, Randall

Offline Green bee

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 09:25:26 pm »
Give them plenty of room if there taking that much syrup. I had a hive this spring that was going through a half gallon a day and before I knew it was full of syrup and no place for the queen to lay. It's amazing how much they will stor in a short period.  :yes:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 03:08:34 am »
For small scale feeding, I use inverted glass jars. I pierce the metal lid from the inside surface several times with the end of a sharp nail. I then cover the inside of the holes with some parcel tape. Some of the holes are then pierced with the end of a fine pin. If needed, more holes can be made with the pin.
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 07:39:08 am »
Barbarian, that's brilliant!
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 01:25:30 am »
randall............

like bakers, i use nothing but pail feeders, 1 and 2 gallon, and the lids with the screens in them. i don't make my own. use them in all temps, no leaks.
fill to the top. push down, release air. invert and release extra over an empty bucket to ensure it does not leak before placing the bucket on. 
also, are your hives relatively (............ :D) level?

it would not be the bucket itself, it would be the lid.

what pail feeders and lids are you using? 
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor