Author Topic: Ant Baits around bee hives  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Ant Baits around bee hives
« on: May 27, 2017, 04:05:44 pm »
Mikey, here is the info you asked about...

Use of a bait station will kill most ants. Click Here for a link with easy to follow instructions to make your own bait station. It's easy. I've been able to forego the usual grease and oil barriers by using a combination of broadcast granular insecticide and ant baits, your results may vary.

You will need a bait that will attract the ants but block access by honey bees (that means smaller holes cut in the bait container). I mix one cup sugar with three cups water and one rounded tablespoon of boric acid. This will let the ants take the boric acid back to the nest and kill ants there. Research revealed that poison from ant baits has been found in ants more than a hundred feet from the bait itself. Boric acid is officially accepted by organic gardeners.

One important issue is that you need to cut holes in the bait station that allow ants to enter, but not bees. You don't want bees to have access to the poisoned sugar water. I also reuse the same mixing and storage containers for the poisoned sugar water.

As long as the ant is in a carbohydrate phase of its diet, they will take this mix. Some recommend adding an oil to attract ants during their protein phase, but I haven't tried that yet. HTH :)

Amazon has ant bait stations you can order online if you don't want to make one.  HTH  :)
Lee_Burough
The following users thanked this post: Mikey N.C.

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
Re: Ant Baits around bee hives
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 08:55:34 pm »
I think a circular saw will make a slot ants can but bees can't get in.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: Ant Baits around bee hives
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 09:23:01 pm »
I think a circular saw will make a slot ants can but bees can't get in.
Agreed.  :)
Lee_Burough