Author Topic: what would you do??  (Read 1003 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
what would you do??
« on: May 26, 2017, 05:58:35 pm »
I got a hive out of a fallen tree last sunday. while removing comb I found the queen, put her in a clip, & put her in the hive when I got them home. when I removed this hive there was not a single cell of brood. none. since being hived she still has not laid any eggs.
I have a split that absconded & left behind a new unreleased queen. since the one queen is not laying & this caged queen needs to be dealt with asap i'm considering snuffing the queen from the tree & installing the caged queen. I am not trying to rush anything but since there was no brood in the tree it looks like this queen from the tree is a dud.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: what would you do??
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 07:57:13 pm »
I wonder if the colony in the tree was being led by a virgin after it swarmed? It could explain the lack of eggs if she has not mated yet.
On the other hand, if you have a good mated queen, I think I would add her to that colony after removing the tree queen and a couple of frames of bees and nuc them just to see if she might yet lay eggs.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 07:58:40 am »
I do not know the hive's history. it was one of several I removed from fallen trees after a storm. i'd come to the same conclusion as you. i'll put the non layer in a cage & hold over over a queen excluder over a hive until I have time to go to my outyard & make a split. none of the hives here at the house can spare any bees just now. a hive I vacuumed out of a fireplace vent has a queen that is an egg laying machine.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 12:54:06 pm »
Rober, i reluctantly agree with Knucklehead :sad: If the non laying queen is a virgin and not bred, i think they only have nine? days  after they emerge? So i would introduce her ASAP. Jack

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 01:16:02 pm »
I went thru the rescued hive several times & could not find a queen so I started a nuc with the caged queen figuring I could combine them later. looked thru the hive again & still cannot find this queen but guess what, she started laying. there is 1 frame with brood ( not a lot ) on both sides of the frame & several queen cells. so it looks like the girls worked it out on their own. so with the new nuc I'm up to 27 hives & counting. I keep getting calls for cutouts but no swarms.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 01:49:52 pm »
You have come a long way on your bee journey rober, keep it up!   :yes:
Lee_Burough