Author Topic: Spacing for setting up two new hives question  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Salmo

Spacing for setting up two new hives question
« on: May 17, 2017, 12:46:16 pm »
So I`m getting ready to setup a location for my soon to arrive beehives(two) and wanted to keep them fairly close to each other, thinking within 5 feet.   Before leveling ground and placing blocks, I googled the idea of spacing and found one self-declared expert that stated that they should be kept at least 15`feet apart, else you run the risk of all your bees ending up in one hive the first day.   

Just wanted to check with others as to your experiences with setting up two or more new hives and spacing recommendations?

Thanks Randall

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: Spacing for setting up two new hives question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 01:14:56 pm »
There are many variables to your question.  Are your hives mature or are they package bees or NUCs?

The hive with the queen most attractive to the bees will have bees drift to her hive.  It happens most often with package bees but drifting is always a possibility.  With packages, set them a bit farther away from each other than their permanent location.  When they are established, you can move them a foot or two (up to three feet) per day to their final location.  That should minimize drifting. 

If you observe one hive growing faster than the other, (or, maybe the bees are drifting), you can switch the hives to equalize the populations.  Foragers will return to their original location, even if you switch/move their hive.  If you choose that option, you don't need to separate the hives at the beginning.  When I say "switch" the hives, I mean to take hive number one and place it where hive number two was and visa versa.   HTH   :)

P.S.  I set my hives on a bench and leave enough space between hives to set the top cover between them during inspections. It gives me a clean, convenient place to stack the supers during inspections.

Lee_Burough

Offline Salmo

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 01:20:32 pm »
First time bee keeper, once they arrive, they are Nucs from Perry.

R

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 01:26:02 pm »
NUCs from Perry are going to be ready to go, put them where you want them to be.   Switch them if they grow asymmetrically.  JMO   :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Salmo

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 05:17:58 pm »
Thanks, I built two smaller platforms, but large enough for the outer covers.    The ground where my hives are going is pretty rocky in spots...so I don't want to level anymore than I have too and I would hate to start out beekeeping by making a huge mistake.

R

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 07:41:43 pm »
I run my hives far enough apart to make it convenient to work them from the back, but I don't have to carry stuff, smoker etc very far to get to the next one. I can set the lid between them or on top of the next hive.  If you have the space to put them that far apart It would be a good thing, you may get less drifting.
  Scott
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 08:09:04 pm »
Go with the 15', one stand, you'll fill the gap quick enough.  ;D. We sure did!  Went into last winter with 12 colonies, had 2 deadouts, so started the spring with 10.  I think we're at 18 now (hives and nucs) and sold 2 so far and 1 more will go this weekend  8).  If you dig it like we do, get all the space you can.  We've found it easier to down size than up size.  Just a thought.  Have fun man! Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Some Day

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 09:49:11 pm »
This is most likely a silly idea, but if you are worried about drifting bees why not point one hive entrance South and the other hive entrance North?  Or one East and one West.  You could also staple a playing card like the Ace of Spades above one entrance and the King of Clubs above the other entrance.  When the bees orient to their new location (your apiary) they will be less likely to fly into the "wrong" hive   Leave enough distance between the hives that you can work both of them from the back and not be in their flight path to the entrance.  Both you and the bees will be happier I'll bet.

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 07:46:55 am »
Hives on commercial pallets are side by side. It is true if you line up 10 hives all painted the same the two end hives will have more bees. How many more or if it makes any difference to a hobby beekeeper is another question. Put them where they are easy for you to work on. As stated I too like to place my smoker on the next hive over as I work the hive in front of me without having it more than a step away.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 03:03:35 am »
Most beekeepers don't have space for this, but I heard Keith Delaplane, U of G,  suggest that 15 yards would be more appropriate spacing.  It would help control varroa mites.

Like this others, I like to leave room for some air flow in between hives and the adjacent hive is great for resting the smoker on.