Author Topic: Full 10 frame deep  (Read 1638 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Full 10 frame deep
« on: May 19, 2017, 02:32:24 pm »
I've got a 10 frame deep I'm selling to a local guy.  The weather is not cooperating for us to go through the colony together, so he can see what he's getting, and so we can transfer frames to his equipment so I can keep mine.  Origanilly we were to inspect this evening, I'd screen them in before sunrise tomorrow, and he'd take them home later in the morning.  It's cold and rainy today so hope to begin the process tomorrow and finish up Sunday.

Here's my concern and possible solution:  this box has a LOT of bees!  Frames 1 and 10 are honey, frame 9 is a partially drawn mostly foundation frame and the remaining 7 frames are mixed brood.  If this were my hive I'd have added a second deep last weekend at least.  Having it to do over I'd have added a second deep to "his" hive last weekend at least also.  But, here we are.  I'm concerned with swarming.  My thought is to add the second deep tomorrow, pull 2 frames of brood from the bottom deep and place them in the center of the top deep and 2 frames of foundation on each outside edge of the bottom brood chamber.  My thought is it would give the bees more room and "encourage" them to use the top deep sooner.  How far off am I?  Better ideas?  Thanks, Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Some Day

Re: Full 10 frame deep
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 04:37:03 pm »
Ted,

What are you going to do with the 2nd deep box with the two frames of brood?  Are you selling them also to your customer?  Will he have 2 deeps to exchange?  Do you have any extra queens stashed near by that you can use to make a nuc with the 2 frames of brood?

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 05:27:07 pm »
Sorry for the confusion.  He would end up with both deeps, which he would bring, along with 20 frames of foundation, bottom board, inner cover and outer cover.  His bottom deep, which will be on his bottom board, will consist of the following configuration: frames 1 and 10 are honey, frames 2, 8, and 9 are foundation and frames 3,4,5,6 and 7 are brood frames.  His second, or upper deep, will be configured as frames 1,2,3,4 foundation, frames 5 and 6 are brood, and frames 7, 8, 9 and 10 are foundation.  We'll put his inner and outer covers on also.  That will leave me with my equipment, bottom board, deep, inner cover, outer cover AND 10 of the 20 frames of foundation that he brings.  Exactly what I started this hive with except for the colony and wax. Oh yeah, and his money.  I have offered to help him move it.  It won't be that heavy, just bulky.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Some Day

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 06:43:38 pm »
Sounds like a plan that should work.
The following users thanked this post: tedh

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 07:34:07 pm »
Thanks Some Day.  I just talked to lazybkpr and he said the same thing.  Now the rain needs to let up at least long enough to get it done.  On a different tac, the white clover is just barely getting started so the rain is great!  Come on clover!  Ted