Author Topic: Different SHB Weapon?  (Read 1794 times)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Different SHB Weapon?
« on: May 24, 2017, 11:30:11 am »
At the bee club meeting last night a member said he is using pickling lime to fight shb? puts it around the hole in the inner cover and edges of the bottom board. Said he had a hive that was being over took by shb and after using pickling lime he only found 3 shb's in that hive the next time he looked at it. I didn't hear where he found out about it? said it burns the shb's belly and kills them, but doesn't harm the bees. Anyone hear heard about this??? Jack

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Different SHB Weapon?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 11:35:27 am »
never heard of that before, sounds like it would work if the bees were not bothered by it.

Might be a good place to spread lime around on the ground in front of the hives also.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 01:27:47 pm »
If you try it, let us know how it works.  I'm especially interested if it kills/bothers the bees.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 06:31:34 am »
Yes, I heard a beekeeper give a little presentation on SHB.  He swore by pickling lime in baitable beetle jails.  He had pictures of the good results he had got.  I tried it and didn't have the same luck.  Perhaps I missed something in the presentation.  In addition to the pickling lime maybe you have to add something to lure them in?  For me, the baitable beetle jails work better with oil in them, but I make a mess with oil sometimes.

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 06:40:14 am »
Oil and apple cider vinegar is the bait I like, but you have to remove the trap before inspection or it will get spilled (Murphys Law)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 10:28:11 am »
From what i understood you just sprinkle the pickling lime around the hole in the inner cover and along the edges of the bottom board where the bees chase the beetles so they have to crawl through it. Claims it doesn't harm the bees. Jack