Author Topic: Party like a small hive beetle  (Read 3216 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Party like a small hive beetle
« on: May 08, 2017, 07:54:54 am »
There is nothing more fun than seeing dead small hive beetle!  Well, maybe it's dead varroa mites  :yes:
Thought I would share these pictures.  I put a sheet of Brawny dine a max in a colony in late fall.  Yesterday I removed it and this is what I found. 
 https://www.mannlakeltd.com/shop-all-categories/hive-colony-maintenance/medications-treatments-herbicides/hive-beetle/brawny-dine-a-max-beetle-towel-quarter-sheet-10-pack

Since some of the little creeps were still alive, we had a nice going away party in the smoker!!!

The Brawny sheets work a little better for me than the other sheets.  I had a beetle jail in this colony too.  :sad:

Offline PappyRick

Re: Party like a small hive beetle
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 08:46:16 am »
B12,  Did the SHB jail do anything for you?  I have a couple of these in my hives, and have only found one SHB in the trap in one of the hives.  I haven't seen a lot of beetles, but they don't seem to like the jail.  PappyRick

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 08:56:45 am »
Yes, I have some luck with Beetle Blasters and Beetle Jails.  I usually make a mess with the oil.  If you don't thumb tack the Beetle Blasters down, the SHB will hide under the tops.  I know some beekeepers swear by them.  I think they are better than nothing.
I got several of those sheets from a Mann Lake rep at a state bee club meeting.  I didn't realize you were supposed to cut them into 4 or so pieces.  The picture was of a full sheet.
The apiary that this Brawny sheet came out of is in the country.  A few weeks ago I applied nematodes to the ground around my backyard hives.  We will see how that works.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 05:40:14 pm »
I have used generic swiffer sheets and they work pretty good. Gonna try those brawny sheets though.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline PappyRick

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 10:35:01 am »
B12, So where are you placing the Brawny sheets?  PappyRick

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 12:29:16 pm »
SHB can live and reproduce in rotting vegetables like melons and squash.  They can smell a bee hive miles away and fly there. 

For that reason, I don't treat the ground for SHB larva, just ants.  I like your results B12, I found some similar cleaning cloths in our garage sale box, I'm going to try them.  I know the Beetle BeGone sold by BeeWeaver work.  Beetle traps have not been successful in my hives.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 05:05:08 pm »
Send the cloths to Perry.  I think he has a politician he'd like to give them to as a sign of friendship.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 09:19:09 pm »
Send the cloths to Perry.  I think he has a politician he'd like to give them to as a sign of friendship.
Dang!  That's a good thought!  I will see if I can come up with another.  That one still have live little stinkers, so I burned them in the smoker.  Cremation, if you will.   O:-)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 07:54:47 am »
A buddy here in Iowa just told me about one of his deadouts that was "infested" with SHB.  I've heard they're here but have never positively seen one, so words like "infested with" fills me with concern.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 06:11:55 pm »
I agree Ted and after reading horror stories about these little wrecking balls I even dreamed one night of finding them in a hive  :o Beekeeper nightmare and I have much respect for those that have to deal with these darn beetles, too hot and dry here and they are likely not able to pupate in our sometimes "hot enough to fry an egg soil" sometimes 140 degrees F in the sun up to 4 inches deep

Cheers, Bill

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 07:12:46 pm »
Nugget, I bet your safe there.   :laugh:

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 07:40:36 pm »
I am so jealous of you folk who haven't had to encounter SHB.

I've only had one hive (nuc) slimed, and I never want that to happen again.  It is a smell you never forget.

If they encroach in your area, keep your hives strong, use multiple methods to control them inside and out (swifter cloths, DE or nematodes, Freeman Bottom Boards).  My best tool, in my opinion, is my Freeman Bottom Board.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people