Author Topic: 1st swarm ever  (Read 2112 times)

Offline cpekarek

1st swarm ever
« on: May 11, 2017, 07:17:10 pm »
I shared this on another site but figured I would post here also.

I had an interesting day. I work at a golf course and that's where my hives are located. As I was driving up to my office around noon, I saw a cloud of bees swirling around. I have never seen a swarm but I figured that was what I was seeing. I came upon them right before they picked a spot to rest. After about 10 minutes they started to settle into a dense 6' high bush right outside my office. It took another 15 minutes and they were in 3 loose clumps on the bush. I quickly grabbed a 5 frame deep box I had built for a future nuc, put in a drawn frame and a frame of open brood I took from another hive and filled it out with 3 frames of blank foundation. I cut the branches with bees off the shrub and shook them into the box and closed it up. There were still a few thousand bees swirling around the bush but I had to attend a meeting offsite so I left the box sitting on he ground near the bush. I came back 3 hours later and the bees seem to be working the box like any normal hive.

I feel like I was really lucky to be able to capture the swarm so easily. I had to go out of town for 3 days and didn't have time to move the box. Hopefully the bees will still be there when I return. I will need to open the hive I suspect the swarm came from and see what is the status.

I never knew it would be so easy to catch a swarm.  :D

Offline Green bee

Re: 1st swarm ever
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 09:35:26 pm »
Nice thanks for sharing keep us post!  :)
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 10:22:28 pm »
It's a great feeling. Hope you get many more.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 10:23:40 pm »
Nice catch. Some can be easy, many are not. ;D
Hopefully you can get them transferred quickly, swarms I have caught in nuc boxes tend to not like the small area and can sometimes head for greener pastures.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter