Author Topic: Nova Scotia Part # 2  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Nova Scotia Part # 2
« on: May 09, 2017, 06:49:07 am »
For those of you who have been following this saga there has been an update.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1466526-beekeepers-win-battle-against-ontario-imports

I want to urge caution before celebrating what "seems" like a victory until you check out  the following:

Import SHB protocol for bees leaving Ontario headed to New Brunswick (where bees will now come from to Nova Scotia) are comprised of:

50% of colonies receive a top bar inspection - a 5 second quick scan immediately after the cover has been removed, looking for adult SHB.
If a colony on a pallet is found to have SHB, it is removed and the rest of the colonies on the pallet are allowed to go.
Essentially this means that colonies from a yard known to contain SHB will be allowed to go to New Brunswick.

100% of colonies from New Brunswick heading to Nova Scotia will still receive a top bar inspection, but this is far from securing Nova Scotia's future as a  SHB free province.

I believe the public pressure caused the government to make a move, but in my opinion it is little more than a shell game designed to obfuscate and appear as if they have decided to keep Nova Scotia safe! Given that these hives are no longer needed due to a surplus of local hives available the proper response from the government would have been to stop the importation altogether!

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline 40 Acre Bees

Re: Nova Scotia Part # 2
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 07:47:22 am »
I guess it's a little to early to be dancing in the streets.  Thanks for the details!

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 08:52:27 am »
Since we are talking about two different countries and NO political party(ies) I'll go ahead and say it.  GEESH!  Wouldn't it be nice if politicians did what was best for the country, province/state or area?  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 02:49:48 pm »
Since we are talking about two different countries and NO political party(ies) I'll go ahead and say it.  GEESH!  Wouldn't it be nice if politicians did what was best for the country, province/state or area?  Ted

In a perfect world......... :yes:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 04:02:01 pm »
Right on brother.
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.