Author Topic: One Tough Swarm  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
One Tough Swarm
« on: May 05, 2017, 03:27:22 am »
We have had our share of rain in the last several weeks.  After 5 straight days of rain, last Tuesday, 5/2/17, was our first sunny day in the low 60's.  The only colony I had that was a peak performing condition was a swarm that I had caught in a trap May of 2016.  This same colony decided to swarm last Tuesday.  I was in the backyard and happened witnessed the colony land in the top of a 40-50 ft. tree.  I had a swarm trap set up, but quickly put together another just in case.  The only way for me to catch this swarm was to lay a sheet down with a brood box and shoot the limb.  I don't have a rifle and the city wouldn't think kindly of  this activity. 
My husband and I waited and watched.  The temps dropped down into the 40s on Tuesday night.  They clustered.  The rain began again on Tuesday evening and into Wednesday.  They clustered even tighter.  Before going to work on Thursday, I checked them again and they were hanging tight to the limb.  Yesterday's weather, Thursday, was in the low 60s with sunshine. I knew they would make their move for sure.  Last night my husband met me on the driveway to tell me the little stinkers had moved into the 2nd swarm trap.  Today I will check to make sure they are starting to bring in pollen.  Resilient little things. I find it amazing that they survived chilly, rainy conditions in the open.

April was a horrible month for me personally.  I haven't been able to check on my colonies as I should.  No, I didn't know they were building queen cells in there.  The particular colony that swarmed happened to be the meanest bees I have ever worked.  I decided not to inspect them and just put honey supers on.  They were on super #3 when they swarmed. Supers 1 and 2 were filled.
The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: One Tough Swarm
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 06:33:33 am »
Good things happen to those who wait! :) Patience can be rewarded. ;D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 08:21:59 am »
This is what I think of when I see bees in a situation like that:

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 05:16:16 pm »
Okay Blueblood what is that a photo of?

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 01:21:33 am »
"I was in the backyard and happened witnessed the colony land in the top of a 40-50 ft. tree.  I had a swarm trap set up, but quickly put together another just in case.  The only way for me to catch this swarm was to lay a sheet down with a brood box and shoot the limb.  I don't have a rifle and the city wouldn't think kindly of  this activity."

.................... :D :D :D

"My husband and I waited and watched.  The temps dropped down into the 40s on Tuesday night.  They clustered.  The rain began again on Tuesday evening and into Wednesday.  They clustered even tighter.  Before going to work on Thursday, I checked them again and they were hanging tight to the limb.  Yesterday's weather, Thursday, was in the low 60s with sunshine. I knew they would make their move for sure.  Last night my husband met me on the driveway to tell me the little stinkers had moved into the 2nd swarm trap.  Today I will check to make sure they are starting to bring in pollen.  Resilient little things. I find it amazing that they survived chilly, rainy conditions in the open."

amazing! honey bees are resilient!!!  thanks for sharing!

"April was a horrible month for me personally.  I haven't been able to check on my colonies as I should.  No, I didn't know they were building queen cells in there.  The particular colony that swarmed happened to be the meanest bees I have ever worked.  I decided not to inspect them and just put honey supers on.  They were on super #3 when they swarmed. Supers 1 and 2 were filled."

bakers, you have had a hard past few months. i have learned myself, bees can take care of themselves without too much intervention, maybe not all we desire.......... :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor