Author Topic: Supersede or swarm cell?  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Green bee

Supersede or swarm cell?
« on: April 27, 2017, 10:10:56 pm »
Found this on a frame , can't amagine it being a swarm cell because of placement and there is only one. I tried to look to see if there was a egg in it but couldn't tell even with a magnifying glass. Bees was steady moving in and out of it. This hive was started from a package on April 6th. Queen,was out by the 9th , so it's not been long enough for any new bees to emerge. But I will say this hive is very active and thriving. Don't really know what to make of it ....any ideas

Also forgot to mention the queen is present and laying. I found her and eggs.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Supersede or swarm cell?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 10:36:41 pm »
green bee, great photo!

this is a queen cup, not a cell, i wouldn't be too concerned about it other than take note and keep checking your queens progress.........your pic indicates your queen is laying quite well. bees will sometimes build queen cups, and tear them down, sometimes not and sometimes these cups are referred to as 'just in case'.

here is a pretty good reference on cups/cells:

Queen Cell Identification
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 10:42:50 pm »
While riverbee was posting, I wrote this...

Hives usually contain a few queen cups.  That is normal.  When the cup has an egg in it, it is considered a queen cell. 

Sometimes it is a challenge to see into those queen cups to look for an egg.  A puff of smoke usually moves the bees away.  If I can't see well enough and 'MUST' know if the cup contains an egg, I'll gently peel away one side of the cup to visualize the bottom of the cup, (careful not to disturb an egg if it contains one).  Bees will repair the cup PDQ.  :)

Swarm cells are usually numerous, (more than 6 cells & up), and toward the lower part of the frames.  Supersedure cells are generally higher on the frames and less numerous, (2-6 cells).

Seeing one or two, or three queen cells, I will leave them alone until a couple days before they should hatch.  At that time you can move them to start other colonies, or let them hatch and supersede the existing queen.  If I let them supersede the queen, I leave the two best looking queen cells.  The good thing about a supersedure is there is a constant supply of eggs and brood until the new queen starts laying before they off the old queen.  :)
Lee_Burough
The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline Green bee

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 11:04:23 pm »
Thanks guys for the info! Thinking about it now , this is a frame of drawn comb that was given to me to start the package of bees with. I guess it's totally possible that , that cup was already there or in the making when I installed the frame. Either way I will let the bees be bees and leave them to there work. I know for a fact they know more about what there doing than I do  :laugh: :laugh:.
    I started two hives . This hive is really doing well and drawing lots of comb. In fact I have added a second deep. My other on the other hand is doing well but there reluctant to draw comb. Has lots of eggs and capped brood but not motivated to draw. Who knows it may end up being the best of the two I guess time will tell.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein