Author Topic: Mite on queen  (Read 4329 times)

Offline rcannon

Re: Mite on queen
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 09:05:47 pm »
I agree with Robo. Any queen issue should be addressed by replacement. ASAP. Any issue she has will be passed along into her offspring. A hive with a sick queen will dwindle until the whole hive is circling the drain.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 09:16:28 pm »
The question in my mind is whether or not the mite was just hitchhiking.  Hitchhiking without feeding is not a problem for the queen.  The spot shown in the picture seems like one of the least likely spots for a mite to feed on a queen.  Mites feed on fat reserves, I don't think that spot is where fat reserves are located.   JMO   :)

Lee_Burough

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2017, 05:07:03 pm »
Super DFM (direct fed microbals) honey bee. Is what I use. The pics on show me yours are 2 weeks after applying to brood area.

Same here, I have been using either the SuperDMF or ProDMF from Mann Lake.   Just an interesting side note,   just heard from the NY head apiarist last night that he has seen great results in commercial beekeepers using it.   I guess he has seen first hand of at least two instances where the bees where in really bad shape and now two years of treating with DMF and they are exceptional.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison