Author Topic: Mite on queen  (Read 4328 times)

Offline joeybrowne

Mite on queen
« on: April 25, 2017, 10:29:11 am »
Hi everyone,
I opened up one of my hives yesterday and found the queen.  I noticed a small brown spot on her that looked like a mite.  I was wondering if the worker bees will take it off her or is this something I should take care of.
If I have to take care of this, should I attempt to remove it using tweezers or should I treat with MAQS or some other kind of treatment.
Thanks for the advice.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Mite on queen
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 11:23:54 am »
I have no experiance with this situation but can't help offering some thoughts.  I would "think" the bees would remove the mite through grooming however if the mite has bitten her, my understanding is that the wound will not heal.  That would also make her susceptible to infection and any potential mite born disease.  Again these are just my rambling thoughts.  I'm anxious to hear from others.  Tex
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.
The following users thanked this post: joeybrowne

Offline joeybrowne

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 11:32:02 am »
Thanks Ted!  Your rambling thoughts are much appreciated!  I haven't had the chance to work in the hives much since it's been either cold or windy in Nova Scotia.   The bees were getting quite annoyed so I closed the hive.  Thanks for the input!  Have a good one Buddy!

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 12:21:22 pm »
Have never heard a report like this.  I would not resist the impulse to gently remove the mite and change its shape to one resembling the thinness of paper.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 12:42:57 pm »
I am tuning in to this thread as I honestly have no idea what I would do. Seems there ought to be a contingency out there somewhere. As already stated the wound on an insect won't heal as we would. Maybe there is a "patch" one could place over it? I'm rambling also.  :-[
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 01:31:05 pm »
A bee bandaid?  Super glue?  That sounds funny but the gel super glue might "plug the hole".  Probably sting..hehe...get it? Sting!  Okay, I quit.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 02:56:05 pm »

Here is one I came across last year in a mating nuc no less.

Being in the north, I wouldn't risk a colony going into a winter with a queen that has been bitten by a varroa.   Any type of perforation, internal or external,  has a negative impact on the health of the bee and makes them susceptible to viruses.    I would highly suggest re-queening at some point.  In the interim I would scrape the mite off if still on her.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

The following users thanked this post: joeybrowne

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 03:55:27 pm »
A bee bandaid?  Super glue?  That sounds funny but the gel super glue might "plug the hole".  Probably sting..hehe...get it? Sting!  Okay, I quit.  Ted

Actually, Ted, I was thinking more on the line of "Bee Bond-O". :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline joeybrowne

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 04:45:56 pm »
Checked the queen and the mite was gone.   On a side note,  when working with your bees don't set your cell on vibrate and place in your front pant  pockets. .... the scare i got when i felt it vibrate and thought it was a bee about to sting me 'you know where"....

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 09:38:20 pm »

Being in the north, I wouldn't risk a colony going into a winter with a queen that has been bitten by a varroa.   Any type of perforation, internal or external,  has a negative impact on the health of the bee and makes them susceptible to viruses.    I would highly suggest re-queening at some point.  In the interim I would scrape the mite off if still on her.

https://entomologytoday.org/2016/04/27/varroa-mites-and-associated-honey-bee-diseases-more-severe-than-previously-thought/
I have to agree with robo.  I would requeen even though the mite has been removed.  Here is an interesting article that explains how varroa is a vector for all sorts of nasty diseases and viruses.  I like the quote by Kirsten Traynor,“The mites are basically dirty hypodermic needles. " 
I like that quote so much I think I will use that in the future, giving her credit of course.   :)

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 09:52:22 pm »
  Here is an interesting article that explains how varroa is a vector for all sorts of nasty diseases and viruses.

Very true,  we often joke that we should be treating the varroa and not the bees.   If we had health varroa,  the impact on the bees would be less.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

The following users thanked this post: Green bee

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 10:25:15 pm »
That's why this year I'm using probiotics in my hives. If we can keep a healthy gut in the bees research has shown a marked resistance to viral and other gut problems. A healthy bee has a fighting chance and a weak bee does not. Not advertising. It's another tool I can use to promote strong growth. Bees gut gets weaker from being moved a long distance, treatments and of course varroa. Now to find a hive beatle zapper.

Offline Green bee

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 11:11:27 pm »
That's why this year I'm using probiotics in my hives. If we can keep a healthy gut in the bees research has shown a marked resistance to viral and other gut problems. A healthy bee has a fighting chance and a weak bee does not. Not advertising. It's another tool I can use to promote strong growth. Bees gut gets weaker from being moved a long distance, treatments and of course varroa. Now to find a hive beatle zapper.

Is there a certain product your using CBT? Just curious, I have been reading good things about a product called hive alive. I am sure you have heard of it. But it supposed to be good for the honey bees gut.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 01:04:02 am »
Braula (bee louse)

Before varroa and its treatments, you could find Braula on the Q. They seemed to prefer going on the Q and sometimes several were on the Q. One dodge was to put the Q in a cage and gently blow tobacco smoke on her. The Braula dropped off and the Q was returned to the hive.

" Another Owd Codger "

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 07:50:21 am »
Barbarian, that's interesting.

CBT, I, like Green bee, am interested in what probiotics you are referring to.

Offline joeybrowne

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 08:09:47 am »
I have Hive Alive at home.  When I add it to the sugar syrup, I find it gives off a strong medicine like smell.  Earlier in the Spring, I was worried that the bees would not eat the sugar syrup (due to the scent it gave off) so I stopped adding Hive Alive to it.  I might try again for my next batch and see if they like it.

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 09:11:31 am »
That's why this year I'm using probiotics in my hives.

Ditto,  I have found the best approach is a proactive one that keeps the bees as healthy as possible and not what for an issue to react.   Just like humans,  when you eat health and have a healthy digestive system you don't get sick.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 10:25:41 am »
There was an article in the American Bee Journal with a suggestion that we rough up the interior of our hives to promote the bees building a hygenic propolis shell around themselves, as they might do in a hollowed out tree.

I wonder if that would have any impact on the bees ability to fight the viruses injected by mites.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 07:49:17 am »
Super DFM (direct fed microbals) honey bee. Is what I use. The pics on show me yours are 2 weeks after applying to brood area.

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 01:57:00 pm »
This must be it?
Cheers, Bill