Author Topic: What is on this frame?  (Read 2280 times)

Offline SmokeyBee

What is on this frame?
« on: April 23, 2017, 11:44:55 am »
On the right side of the pictures, just under the random blob of comb, are some round tan cells. Are these queen cells?

This is the middle frame from a bottom deep in a new hive from a package of bees. The upper brood box didn't have any brood yet so I got into this deep to make sure the queen was still in there. I never saw the queen but there is capped brood on other frames from the bottom deep.

These are all (bad) pictures of the same frame. Would appreciate if someone could identify these cells for me and offer any other observations.

Thanks-Smokey

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: What is on this frame?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 11:55:18 am »
Those are just capped brood cells, with just a few drone brood cells as well (the bullet shaped taller ones). Nothing of concern as far as I can see. It would be nice to see what is under that cluster of bees protruding off the bottom bar of the frame, but it appears to be nothing more than burr comb. It could be queen cells but not from what I can see.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: SmokeyBee

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 01:22:36 pm »
I had the same situation.....I was informed at my last bee club meeting that usually when they make comb off the frame like that it is drone comb.
The following users thanked this post: SmokeyBee

Offline SmokeyBee

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 08:36:45 am »
Thanks for the replies. I knew that drone brood was different but I didn't know that it was bulged out like that. With regards to the burr comb, do you normally scrape that off?

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 09:44:28 am »
Thanks for the replies. I knew that drone brood was different but I didn't know that it was bulged out like that. With regards to the burr comb, do you normally scrape that off?
I do Smokey. It just makes handling frames more difficult. The drone comb I don't worry about unless it gets in the way.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 01:22:00 pm »

I scrape off burr comb when I can, it just makes handling the frames next time a bit easier. Those drone cells are extended bullet fashion like that to accommodate the larger drone pupae, as the queen laid an unfertilized egg in a regular worker sized cell. No biggie, happens all the time.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 01:05:05 am »
like les said, your cells on the bottom of the frame are drone cells and drone comb, not burr comb. i would have no problem scraping drone brood off the bottom of the frame....... ;D

ps.
blew up the picture to get a better look, drones, and drone cells.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor