Author Topic: Honey questions  (Read 1076 times)

Offline vvand111

Honey questions
« on: April 21, 2017, 09:14:35 pm »
I went through all of my hives today.  I have several post that I will do later about that experience.

What my questions for the pros are is about Honey. Last year I was fortunate enough to harvest some 6 frames deep from my hives.  I put them in freezer to eliminate wax moth and SHB infestation. I kept these in freezer thinking I might need to feed back to the bees in spring.

That was not the case. I found myself pulling more frames of honey in the spring to make room in the brood boxes.  I put them in freezer as well but it is getting out of hand.   I have honey in all my hives and will probably pull another 20 frames of medium and deep honey in the next 2 weeks.

I have purchased a 20 frame extractor from Larson.  I plan on setting the honey house up in the next 10 days to extract for the first time.
Some of these frames have been in the freezer or refrigerator since they have been pulled from the hive.

Have I messed up any of this honey by leaving in freezer?? 
How should I properly store the frames full of honey after removing from Freezer/ refrigerator before I extract ??
I know they need to thaw but I really do not want critters in them during that time frame.

Any thoughts or suggestions are really appreciated here. This is new territory for me as is most of the rest of this.

Loving it all even the tough spots,

Vandy

Offline Green bee

Re: Honey questions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 09:23:53 pm »
 :t3816:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 09:49:46 pm »
Once you remove them from the freezer you will have to bring them up to temp, a couple of days around 30 C should do it. The time in the freezer shouldn't have hurt them at all.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline vvand111

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 09:52:50 pm »
Thank Perry.  Do I need to bag them or otherwise protect them in a recommended way??

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 10:19:58 pm »
Just keep them  in a  safe spot, no access by wax moth or SHB. I wouldn't bother warming them until you're ready to extract.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline vvand111

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 10:30:18 pm »
So if I put the frames in a rubber sealed container it would be sufficient?

I was looking at a container at restaurant depot the other day that is made to rinse and clean salad. It is like a big collider but you can seal the top.  I think it would be perfect. It probably would have room for 20 or so frames.

I will go back and look again and let you know what I think.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 12:35:28 am »
"Some of these frames have been in the freezer or refrigerator since they have been pulled from the hive.
Have I messed up any of this honey by leaving in freezer??
How should I properly store the frames full of honey after removing from Freezer/ refrigerator before I extract ??
I know they need to thaw but I really do not want critters in them during that time frame."

vandy, how did you store the frames in the freezer? just put them in? and no you did not 'mess' the honey up by leaving in the freezer, i store packaged comb honey in the freezer, in the containers i package them in and enclosed in zip locs, and have also stored deep/medium frames in garbage bags.

storing frames; wrap them in garbage bags. let them come to room temp in the garbage bag, remove. the moisture should gather on the bag rather than the face of the comb. if you have moisture on the face of the comb, just lay paper towel down to absorb the moisture off the capped frames.

you can place your frames in a tightly sealed tub, nothing special........just remember about the moisture, press off with paper towel if need be. when you go to extract these frames............HEAT in the room, when you uncap and place in your extractor, otherwise you WILL be using a lot of non disney language........ :D

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor
The following users thanked this post: vvand111

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 08:05:00 am »
the thing to watch for when bagging is mold. i'd stack the boxes crosswise & run a fan on them until the condensation dries. how long will it be before you extract?

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 08:38:27 am »
We have stored honey frames in the freezer but have limited room to do so.  The "over flow" we left in appropriate sized boxes, deeps or mediums, sprayed with BT, then stacked with a tele cover on top and an upside down tele cover on the bottom.  Not sure that's the best way but what's a guy to do?  Gotta play the hand with the cards you're dealt.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline vvand111

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 09:57:00 am »
I would expect about 2 weeks rober

Offline Captain776

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 10:42:25 pm »
If you place frozen frames of honey or n a sealed container, you are going to get a lot of moisture from condensation.
I think stacking them one frame the long way, then 2 frames sideways on that and stack them up like cordwood you were trying to get Air to and run a fan n them, there will still be condensation due to the temperature difference of ambient air and the temp of the frozen honey but the fan will also dry the moisture.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 07:23:27 am »
Welcome aboard Captain!  Glad you're here!  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.