Author Topic: Hive Move #  (Read 1028 times)

Offline vvand111

Hive Move #
« on: April 21, 2017, 12:07:14 pm »
Built new stands for all of my hives and it was time to move another one this morning. This was my first hive started last may just shy of 1 year ago. These are Waynes's Bees from NC.  2 10 frame deeps and 2 10 frame medium supers.
Top super heavy as h  packed full of honey. I figure they will finish capping it all in the next week or so. I harvested several frames last fall and left plenty for them to "winter in", (we did not really have winter) Pulled several more frames in early march to give them more   room for brood. They swarmed on me anyway. I caught the swarm, put in another hive and it is now in 2 10 frame deeps.

They re-queened themselves right away and man is she a great queen. 2ed super is all drawn out and plenty of honey going in.

Top deep had fantastic laying pattern with 4 full frames of brood beautiful capped brood and some larva. Honey and pollen on outer frames.

Bottom deep had larva eggs and capped brood on inside 4 to 5 frames. plenty of room on the next 2 frames for laying. Never saw the lady but she is wide open. I did have burr comb and fair amount of drone larva in the burr comb. Hive is chocked full of bees.

These bees have never been treated with anything. Very low mite count and a few SHB, Put in 2 traps just to be safe.

Only concern I saw 2 open queen cups, empty and I left them. They were on the bottom of frames in top deep.

I moved the hive to the new stand about 20 inches forward and about 6 inches to the side. 2 hours later they do not seem to be  bothered at all.

I am proud of these girls they make me look like a real bee keeper what ever that is.

Should I be over concerned with the queen cups at this time??

Great hive.

Its kinda like those few shots you make on the golf course that make you want to come back!!

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Hive Move #
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 01:20:13 pm »
They seem to keep a few cups around.  Build them, tear them down, build somewhere else.  Strange little creatures.  No need to worry unless they start to load them.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.
The following users thanked this post: vvand111

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 01:57:13 pm »
Queen cups just keep the queen on her toes, tells her she is not really in charge.

I have always wondered what it takes to trigger the mass consensus to make a new queen.........is it just one rouge bee that feels the need or what?
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 02:19:34 pm »
When I find several empty queen cups I think the older bees are teaching the younger bees how do it. Like Ted said, build them, tear them down, build them, tear them down, practice makes perfect.  ;) 8)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 05:29:51 pm »
They seem to keep a few cups around.  Build them, tear them down, build somewhere else.  Strange little creatures.  No need to worry unless they start to load them.  Ted

:yes: :yes: :yes:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline vvand111

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 08:36:11 pm »
Thanks guys & Gals. I will revisit the hive in 7 days unless I see something unusual.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 01:16:40 am »
"Should I be over concerned with the queen cups at this time??"

nope, what ted said in his post.....

"They seem to keep a few cups around.  Build them, tear them down, build somewhere else.  Strange little creatures.  No need to worry unless they start to load them."

yes they do...... :yes:

they are there many times just in case.......and backups for queen failure........
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor