Author Topic: Bee suit on the cheap  (Read 2618 times)

Offline SmokeyBee

Bee suit on the cheap
« on: April 20, 2017, 02:47:14 pm »
New beekeeper here.  I've been looking at getting a set of coveralls to use when I'm working with the hives. I thought some relatively cheap white cotton coveralls would work. Mostly I want something other than the clothes I'm wearing all day to smell like pine straw smoke and have sticky goo on them. I want to just put them on over my clothes, hang them on a nail when I'm done ask for permission to touch the washing machine after they get nasty.

My question is about sting protection. I've never been stung through clothing, only on exposed skin. Can bees sting through (light-ish) cotton clothing? In the end I may not care, but I've never seen an actual bee jacket in person so I didn't know how thick they are. I've been just wearing a veil and long sleeved [whatever is handy] until now...I'm mostly tired of the pine straw smoke smell.

Thanks-
Smokey

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
Re: Bee suit on the cheap
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 04:05:11 pm »
Hi Smokey. They can easily sting through cotton bee suits. My Ultrabreeze suit is virtually sting proof but like any other suits or clothing, if the material is tight against your body like over your shoulders, stingers will reach your skin. However, the sting is not as harsh through my suit or goats skin gloves.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 05:02:49 pm »
Just get a jacket. ;)
I love my Ultrabreeze jacket, have the suit as well, Sherriff stuff and other suits too. The only downside to the Ultrabreeze is when you move sticky boxes and such the stuff goes right through the suit to the clothes you were trying to keep clean. :D
I have pretty much come to the conclusion that whatever you wear to the bee yard is gonna get dirty, stink after a bit, and should be run in a separate washing machine than the wife uses for everything else. Propolis spots all over the bed linen taught me that one! ;D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 05:51:37 pm »
You most likely will buy a vented jacket after your first hot summer without one. Any breeze goes through it and in July in SC you'll be glad you did. The best $109.95 piece of bee equipment.

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 06:03:14 pm »
You most likely will buy a vented jacket after your first hot summer without one. Any breeze goes through it and in July in SC you'll be glad you did. The best $109.95 piece of bee equipment.

Living in the AZ desert I must concur with CBT  :yes:
Cheers, Bill

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 11:15:27 pm »
"Mostly I want something other than the clothes I'm wearing all day to smell like pine straw smoke and have sticky goo on them. I want to just put them on over my clothes, hang them on a nail when I'm done ask for permission to touch the washing machine after they get nasty.

................. :D :D :D

My question is about sting protection. I've never been stung through clothing, only on exposed skin. Can bees sting through (light-ish) cotton clothing?"

smokey, i use cotton overalls, they work. now i am allergic to honey bees (and all stinging insects); i still use the coveralls, wear clothing underneath to give extra protection and i wear gloves. i should switch to ultrabreeze. bees can sting through the cotton material,  i have rarely been stung through the cotton overalls, the bees like to go for the face and hands/arms, but i have managed to take stings through the overalls on my shins........go figure........the overalls probably close/tight against bare skin, wearing shorts underneath. or removing my veil to close to the hives and zings to the ears and head...........my mistake.  someday i will break down and get an ultrabreeze. if unprotected without any jacket or coveralls you will be subject to being stung anywhere, and sometimes the most unpleasant parts of the body......... :D

if we are using jackets or coveralls, it is good practice to wash them on a regular basis.

and ps, i found myself in an er room (anaphylaxis) in summer wearing coveralls,  and wearing less than adequate coverage underneath................ :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline SmokeyBee

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 09:11:18 am »
Riverbee, you may be the most dedicated beekeeper I know. If these bees put me in the ER, I'd be done.   ;D
The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 11:09:11 am »
When I was in the ER for stings ( I had the shingles at the time) and it sent me into overdrive. The young doc said you'll have to get rid of the bees. Told him right quick guess I'll buy me a bee jacket.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 02:47:52 am »
"Riverbee, you may be the most dedicated beekeeper I know. If these bees put me in the ER, I'd be done.   ;D"

thanks smokeybee...........if we first start out i think, or are younger in beekeeping and wind up in the e/r we are probably more inclined to be done. or maybe that's just me. deep in my heart, i know better.  i have cut back, way back in my beekeeping......and in all honesty, i really am thinking maybe it's time i give up keeping bees, so hard for me, i have such a passion for them.
here is a thread i started....

Riverbee's Journey

i took some stings last summer, i was alright. i continue venom immunotherapy,  i have had some setbacks to my injection schedule, primarily from two major surgeries.....i wore out my hips and had two full sets of titanium hardware put in.......sorta put a kink in my injection regiment, not to mention other things that this affected and annoyed me............ :D 

before all this hoo hah happened, i did like to wear light coveralls to get all the 'junk' on them rather than other clothing and i could wear shorts and tank tops underneath, and also have some protection from stings.  when i started keeping russian bees, then i really ramped up the protection from stings.......... :D

now............lol...........not sure what i am thinkin'........... i wear lot's of protection.......... :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline kingd

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 08:29:22 am »
I have two coveralls,one from Mann lake and the other Dadant, I have been stung through both of them
Of course it was in areas where I was wearing short sleeves and shorts and was sweating like crazy, I have a knockoff vented jacket that I have never been stung in and will most likely be buying an Ultra breeze next.

My outfit now is a vented Jacket and a pair of heavier jeans ( $5 here at Goodwill).
 Also,I carry the coveralls with me just in case I am out and about and want to stop at a yard to take a quick peek
and do not want to get dirty or if the wifes with me, she will wear it( she doesn't want to ruin her clothes ;) )

Offline vvand111

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 12:09:35 am »
ok  put a set of shorts on with a t shirt. It will be cooler and all will be fine   LOL

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 06:56:04 am »
ok  put a set of shorts on with a t shirt. It will be cooler and all will be fine   LOL

Yeah, yeah, there's some advice right there. Not saying it's good or bad, just saying. ;) :laugh: :D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 10:33:48 pm »
"ok  put a set of shorts on with a t shirt. It will be cooler and all will be fine   LOL"

.............. :D

depends...........bees up the shorts?........... :D  as perry said............JUST SAYIN'............. :D

we had a member share an experience with the shorts thing, edited to family friendly...........scott (lazybkpr)  oh where are you?........
Forum Sponsor

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 01:40:54 am »
"ok  put a set of shorts on with a t shirt. It will be cooler and all will be fine   LOL"

.............. :D

depends...........bees up the shorts?........... :D  as perry said............JUST SAYIN'............. :D

we had a member share an experience with the shorts thing, edited to family friendly...........scott (lazybkpr)  oh where are you?........

Had a similar event and what really hurt was Sweet Wife thought it was hilarious!
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a