Author Topic: 4 Nucs Are Full To Capacity  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
4 Nucs Are Full To Capacity
« on: April 17, 2017, 02:56:03 pm »
I have 4 nucs, each now has all 5 frames with capped brood. My buyer is not ready for them just yet.

Can I take one frame of brood out of each of them, and making one new nuc? Making sure that all the queens stay in place except one, of which I would either buy a new queen, or take one from donor nucs.

Scratching head...  ???
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: 4 Nucs Are Full To Capacity
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 03:10:50 pm »
 :yes: :yes: :yes:
That's what I would do!
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 03:17:34 pm »
Then each single frame I take from each nuc, will have the bees that are on each frame as well? all those bees from different nucs will be okay with that?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 03:57:54 pm »
Mix up a little 1 to 1 sugar syrup and throw a few drops of lemongrass oil in the mixture and give each frame (with bees attached) a spritz or two of the syrup. They will all smell the same and it will take them all a while to clean one another up so they won't notice the difference.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 09:42:19 pm »
That's the plan. If you allow them to make a queen that will slow down growth and will give a brood break for varroa. Your not wanting super growth right now, more a maintenance mode.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 10:57:14 pm »
"I have 4 nucs, each now has all 5 frames with capped brood. My buyer is not ready for them just yet.
Can I take one frame of brood out of each of them, and making one new nuc? Making sure that all the queens stay in place except one, of which I would either buy a new queen, or take one from donor nucs."

i am wondering why the buyer/s isn't/aren't ready? okay never mind but still wondering? bees in nucs are so expensive and at times established nucs with laying queens are hard to come by i just can't help but wonder why the buyer isn't ready?  just sayin jen.......

jen, yes you can make a new nuc and do as perry said, and use a little sugar syrup, lemongrass oil, hbh in the mix to spray them with (lightly) any foragers you manage to throw in goes back to where they thought home was. nurse bees really don't get all bent out of shape, so you have some liberal workings on this, and are not inclined to pick a fight with other nurse bees from another nuc/colony. personally i would buy a queen for them, i am not sure i would let them requeen as cbt suggested. 

good luck, i hope all works out for you and your buyers are ready!

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor