Author Topic: Vandy has another swarm 1  (Read 1678 times)

Offline vvand111

Vandy has another swarm 1
« on: April 14, 2017, 08:56:33 pm »
I feel a need to write this while it is all clear in my mind.  I decided to go way above my head and go into several of my other hives for honey frames and take the frames from the earlier described ( NUC/ to 10 frame deep) with queen cells and bees, and move the frames into my queen castle. I have no idea what I am doing but I have to learn. I think it will work but we will see.

I took the frames of honey with no bees from different hives, I put each one in a separate chamber in the queen castle with the bees and queen cells from the Nuc/10 frame deep.  . I replaced each of these frames with undrawn foundation in the hives as well as the original Nuc/10 frame deep. In one hive plastic and in other with wax, in Nuc/10frame 1 of each. (this was just to see what the difference might be in the coming weeks)

Vandy has another swarm2 will be more interesting.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Vandy has another swarm 1
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 07:28:05 am »
So basically your are making up several mating nucs? I do that when I find frames with extra cells as well. When life hands you a lemon (hive about to swarm) make lemonade. :)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline vvand111

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 11:16:59 am »
I assume that is what you would call them Perry.  I have a frame with queen cells and a frame of honey in each chamber. I will wait until late next week to go in and see what has happened. I hope that I will find a new mated queen in each chamber??

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 11:40:37 am »
Give it more than a week. A couple of days to hatch out, a few to walk around and get to know everything and everyone, then a few days to go out on mating flights, a few more to settle back in and then she should start laying.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: vvand111

Offline vvand111

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 12:21:31 pm »
Thanks Perry. I will mark down 12 days from yesterday.