Author Topic: Perhaps I Spoke Too Soon? Use of Sulfur to Destroy Aggressive Hive  (Read 1426 times)

Offline riverbee

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Perhaps I Spoke Too Soon? Use of Sulfur to Destroy Aggressive Hive
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2017, 01:44:38 AM »
"Riverbee, I could probably get it burned out with more work, but I am more comfortable not using this smoker anymore for regular use. There is a crusty black residue  mixed with the old wood tar like residue that when heated with the torch gives of a orange yellow smoke smelling strongly of SO2.

Jen, everything in the hive was SO2 free within a day and no smell or residue in hive as iddee said...."

thank you nugget for your reply.......i appreciate it.

and cbt, yah you are late to the party!!!............dish soap discussed way back............ :D :D :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Forum Supporter
  • Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2017, 11:21:35 AM »
I am rereading this thread.  I think I am going to have to go this route on a swarm I caught last spring.  The neighbor talked to my husband about the 3 stings he took trying to mow his yard.   :o  I will go talk to him today about my intentions of eliminating them.  In the mean time, I will suggest yard work early or late in the day.
Are you able to save the drawn comb after using sulfur?

I remember Nugget said that the smoker couldn't be used any more.  I was wondering about the comb, frames and woodenware.

Chip Euliss' plan of attack would work, but I need a quick remedy.

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Forum Supporter
    • Nugget Shooter
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2017, 06:39:13 PM »
Yes you can reuse the comb as the sulfur is not deadly to bees unless burned which gives of SO2 gas (Sulfur Dioxide) and this is the killing agent. Residue left on frames is minimal without much smell after a day airing out so any sulfur particles from the smoking are not toxic. I have used several of the frames of drawn comb in one of my small hives with no ill affects.

Seal the hive well and smoke liberally from the top using a piece of pipe with a 90 degree fitting or something similar through a cover made for the deed, just plywood with a fitted hole and plug for between treatments will work fine. Smoke till all is quiet inside, smoke again and leave sealed overnight.....

That is how we did it anyway right at dark....
Cheers, Bill
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Bakersdozen

• Forum Supporter
  • Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2017, 03:21:34 AM »
I don't want to steal this thread, but I thought I would give an update on my issues with a mean, mean hive.
I called a member of my local bee club that does bee rescue.  He collects swarms, does cut outs, trap outs, etc.  He said he would like them and would come pick them up.  We agreed to work out a trade of the woodenware.
Afterwards, I caught my neighbor and talked to him.  He gave me a slightly different story than my husband.  Hmmmm!  It wasn't quite as dramatic as my husband led me to believe.  BUT the important thing is a good neighbor relationship.  I could tell he appreciated my concern for his well being and that I was willing to sacrifice a rogue colony.  I assured him that I wanted to be a good beekeeper and sometimes that means being a good neighbor too.

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Forum Supporter
    • Nugget Shooter
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2017, 10:06:03 AM »
Much better outcome than having to put the hive down.... No one wanted mine  :no:
Cheers, Bill

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Forum Supporter
    • Nugget Shooter
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2017, 07:37:44 PM »
Update: We used 3 of the frames we removed brood from in a new package hive a few days back, no apparent issues and they were grateful for the head start with honey, pollen, and drawn comb from outside appearance anyway. Not going to mess with them for a spell unless something doesn't look right from outside or on inspection boards.

I am thinking all will be well, but will update with any important info....
Cheers, Bill

anything