Author Topic: Trap Out Started  (Read 1823 times)

Offline gtrr4

Trap Out Started
« on: April 11, 2017, 07:21:25 pm »
Here is a copy/paste from my FB page for my followers....

So Saturday started the 'Trap Out' process.  We seal the entrance and allow the foragers to exit through the cone.  When they return they can not figure out how to get back into the cone.  We set a swarm box up next to the entrance.  I put a frame of brood with day old eggs from one of my hives.  These foragers can smell the pheromones of that brood, so they go in there.  Once they realize there is no queen pheromone, they will use the day old eggs to make some queen cells.  In 2 weeks these bees from the house, queen cell, will be ready to bee taken to the bee yard.  Then we start the process again.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Re: Trap Out Started
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 08:10:11 pm »
What iddee use to say give them a ladder back to box entro.
Bees go to base of cone when they return,  you give a stick, lollipop stick , give them a walkway down to entrance of trapout box.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 06:21:53 am »
What iddee use to say give them a ladder back to box entro.
Bees go to base of cone when they return,  you give a stick, lollipop stick , give them a walkway down to entrance of trapout box.

Agreed. If you can get the base of the cone as close to the entrance to your trap box as possible is best. If not, a ladder will help out.
Looking good! :)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline gtrr4

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 06:12:57 pm »
Checked the trap out today.  3 queens cells.  Only downfall was some of the spray foam did not fully fill up a crack.  So I will have to add some donor bees from another hive to get this one going.