Author Topic: Odd experience  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Odd experience
« on: April 10, 2017, 06:00:50 pm »
Was going into my buddy's hives to day.  We were going to split ! !  Got into #3. 2 ten deeps an 2 med. Found queen and split. Blue painters tape marks Q . Went to truck for more frames an notice #1 looked like robbing was happening,  split #3 come around. #1 and there's bees bearded. And hanging 12" .
Looked and seen a Q moving fast,  Qclip to far away.  Didn't get a pic of cluster,  but was a mature Q

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Re: Odd experience
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 06:37:46 pm »
Brushed bees off front of hive holding our fingers crossed.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 09:31:14 pm »
Brushed bees off front of hive into 5 frame nuc . cause there was a queen on the front .

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 08:01:05 am »
As far as we know queens in #1 an #2 didn't have clipped wings.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 04:36:19 pm »
Updated,  yesterday after splitting #3 queen was put in #4 bottom box with blue painters tape.  The original #3 was full of bees (top to bottom)  queen was in bottom ten of #3, moved her over to bottom #4 to do split , there was no Q cells drawn in original #3. Thats when we noticed #1 box covered and hanging. 12" below landing, I seen a Q in cluster, we brushed bees in 5 frame nuc. Cause we didn't understand were she came from. We left 5 frame nuc in front with a tele.cover.  buddy went back today to introduce caged Q we got from CBT yesterday afternoon in #3, i wasn't there today.  He said 5 frame nuc was empty.  He intro. caged Q in #3. Said he moved nuc box out of the way, he moved lifted tele.cover on #1 and they swarmed out hole in inner cover and they lit up on a plumb tree 8' off the ground. He was able to shake in a box and all bees went in box after Q. He don't know how to sent pics. so i'll have some tomorrow.