Author Topic: My New Portable Observation Hive  (Read 7641 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
My New Portable Observation Hive
« on: April 05, 2017, 12:23:35 pm »
Got this little beauty off of Pinterest. Can get them on Amazon as well. Going to go to each of my grandchildren's classes before school is out this summer.

Would like some input on how to do a presentation.

How long?
What to take?
Should I provide a honey snack?
What is the most important thing to discuss with preschool kids, and 3rd graders?
Where do I get a large poster, educational, to show the queen, drones, and workers?

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: My New Portable Observation Hive
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 12:28:16 pm »
That's really cool, Jen. Can't answer any questions, just wanted to offer a high five. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 12:49:20 pm »
Thanks Neil :occasion14: This is a close as I can get to a high five  :D

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 01:27:56 pm »
That's a NICE setup Jen!  I've been looking at the  posters/educational material in Mann Lake catalog.  They seem a little pricey in general.  The 6, 7,8 year olds I've gloved and veiled up to show hives to here at home seemed fascinated by all the beginner info, all bees in colony related, girls do the work, how bees sleep, where do they poop....  You know, the fun stuff.  I did spend a bit of time explaining that bees weren't "out to get them" that bees were not really aggressive but more defensive.  That they didn't need to be afraid of bees in their yards as long as the bees weren't threatened.  Areas with AHB problems may need to modify or skip that all together.  Anyway, GOOD ON YOU!  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 02:30:16 pm »
With kids that age, keep it interesting and keep it short, 1/2 hour tops!
I always start off with a fruit tray, asking kids what they see on the fruit tray they really like. I then point out that without honey bees that would go missing. I let them devour the fruit tray at the end. Kids have a limited attention span and they will start to wander after 20 minutes or so, no matter how interesting it may seem to the rest of us.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 04:24:40 pm »
Keep the hive covered until you are done talking.   As soon as you uncover it, you have lost their attention and will never get it back.   

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 06:05:57 pm »
what robo and perry said jen, keep it short, keep the ob hive covered, unless a very short intro on who you are, what you do, then unveil, and engage with discussion/questions.
with pre-school to 3rd grade? at this age it is about 'show and tell', the more ya yammer, you might lose them. they just want to see the bees, the queen, and your equipment.

How long? short.......... :D

What to take? hat and veil, two if you have them (let them try on), hive tool, smoker and show them how it works, kids love fires........ :D (don't start it up but show them) a queen clip, wax comb if you have it, box with frames in it... anything that will grab their visual attention/curiosity and want to know what it's for and how it works, kids like to see, touch, feel, tell them how bees live in a box.....etc...

Should I provide a honey snack? HONEY STICKS! FLAVORED!!! (different flavors) kids love these!

What is the most important thing to discuss with preschool kids, and 3rd graders?  kids at this age are visual, they need the stimulation from visual to keep the attention, so how a queen mates is really not gonna flip their trigger or how honey bees pollinate or other types of topics that will fly right over their brains. perry had a great example with the fruit! keep it simple, engage and encourage questions.

Where do I get a large poster, educational, to show the queen, drones, and workers? i don't have large posters but do have two pdf files i have passed out. not sure this will work for this age group.

EDIT AND ADD:
jen do you have an 8 x 10 color photograph of a queen with retinue?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 06:25:43 pm »
also i forgot a block or bar of wax.......
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 07:00:55 pm »
Thanks everyone! Great ideas!

Keeping the hive covered is something I didn't think about. Makes a lot of sense

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 08:34:46 pm »
If the kids seem to drift off after a few minutes, just open that little window and some of the bees escape.  They'll all be alert then.  :o

You didn't really want to get invited back, did you?

:bee: :bee: :bee: :bee: :bee: :bee:

Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 11:03:00 pm »
Ha! Wman. Actually I was going to take a jar of drones and let the kids, or the braver ones, pick them up

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 11:13:24 pm »
Ha! Wman. Actually I was going to take a jar of drones and let the kids, or the braver ones, pick them up

That's probably a better idea than the one I had ...

:bee: :bee: :bee: :bee: :bee: :bee: :bee: :bee:

... but not as exciting.

Offline Green bee

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 08:07:33 pm »
I know what will get there attention Jen, just tell them the story of getting stung five times in the nostril. :yes:. Well on second thought might want to save that one for the older kids. ;D
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 01:08:20 am »
HA! Oh and you should 'see' me tell it Gbee, I'm quite animated when I pretend I'm getting nailed IN the nose and shaking all the snot off of my hands  :D I think you're right, I'll save that story for when my grands are in high school  :yes:

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 10:29:33 am »
Jen,

Just thought I'd share some possible insight I've gained since you first posted.

1) We blocked our nuc's entrance for three days last week with temps getting into the upper 80's trying to kill an angry bunch of bees.  They were all still doing quite well, although much angrier after being cooped up in the little nuc with no (well, probably very little) air or ventilation.

My thought is that your queen and her subjects should probably be okay in your observation hive for a day.  I wouldn't leave them locked in the car with the windows up, though. 

2) After discovering bees flying around in the class room, I would recommend that you grab your frame of brood and the queen early the morning before your presentation and bring the hive into your house or some room where there are no bees for a couple of hours to check for leaks.  If your presentation is too early for you to do the check, you might just try a dry run a day or two before the actual event. 

Please let us know how things go.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 10:16:43 pm »
Good suggestions here Wman  :) I do have time this next week to make a trial run, and my port obs hive has 4 nice vents.