Author Topic: There are no absolutes when dealing with bees  (Read 996 times)

Offline cpekarek

There are no absolutes when dealing with bees
« on: March 28, 2017, 01:08:16 pm »
I checked my 2 hives yesterday and added Ultra Bee Paddies and 1:1 sugar water in an attempt to increase the bee population before our flow begins. The forecast was for a week of temperatures above 50° F. Well, this morning the forecast was revised to 5 days with highs around 44°. I went to remove the top feeders which I placed in an empty super since I have always heard bees won't feed unless it's above 50°. When I opened the hives, I observed bees sucking down the feed like there was no tomorrow. I stuck a thermometer in the feed and it read 41°.

I guess the bees don't always listen to the experts.  ;)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: There are no absolutes when dealing with bees
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 02:11:39 pm »
Not until we teach them how to read. Or at least give them access to YouTube videos.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline yes2matt

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 02:34:49 pm »
I pass the hives on the way to the barn, and give them verbal instructions and encouragement.

In seriousness, tho , bee careful of the rate of feed, too fast and they'll backfill the nest and defeat your purpose. Old beeks round here recommend a jar with only a couple tiny holes or a baggie with only a tiny slit. For spring stimulation, that is.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Offline cpekarek

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 04:35:36 pm »
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll be okay feeding. The hives have two 10 frame deep brood boxes with fully drawn comb from last year. I estimate there are 15,000 bees in each hive, approximately 7,000 capped brood and 10,000 in the egg/larval stage. No capped drone cells yet. There is approximately 45 lbs of honey. Today's high temp was only 48° but the bees were very active bringing 4 different types of pollen, judging by the different colors.

Fingers crossed.