Author Topic: Do bees navigate using magnetism?  (Read 2065 times)

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
Do bees navigate using magnetism?
« on: March 28, 2017, 05:35:48 am »
The importance of the bee dances and allignment with the sun has been known for quite some while as the way bees navigate and tell other bees where to look for food.  Now a new idea has been presented and gives some interesting information. 
To learn more, follow this link
http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2017/mar/27/honey-bees-navigate-using-magnetic-abdomens
The following users thanked this post: Mikey N.C., Wandering Man

Offline Green bee

Re: Do bees navigate using magnetism?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 11:47:21 pm »
That's interesting ef , there is a video on youtube that talks about how there is a positive charge and a negative charge between the bee and the flower, once the bee visits the flower the charge in the flower changes for a period of time and thus letting other bees know it was recently visited. So I can see how it is totally possible that it is being used as a tool for navigation. Check out the video if you haven't seen it. It's a two part video but very interesting and touches on some of the things in this article. Let me know what you think!
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Do bees navigate using magnetism?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 07:35:50 am »
We just watched the two part series of this program on Netflix and it was very interesting, I agree.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter