Author Topic: Hive top feeders  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Barry n Abbie

• Abbigail Honey
Hive top feeders
« on: March 27, 2017, 02:24:25 pm »
Built a few for nucs I plan on over wintering next winter and was wondering what everyone uses to seal or watertight the area where you would put sugar syrup?  I was thinking maybe paraffin wax?  Just concerned about transfer of impurities.

Barry
Barry

Offline Rugerbob

Re: Hive top feeders
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 04:34:47 pm »
Seal the corners with bees wax, sugar syrup seals remainder.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 05:45:15 pm »
I've never been a fan of hive top feeders. When I first started I bought 3 (expensive) and didn't like them. Bees drown, plus any inspection requires lifting off the feeder with the resulting syrup sloshing to and fro and eventually down my arm. Then I would have to figure where to set it while I inspected, just a PITA, so I went to pails.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 09:55:04 pm »
An easy design I am going to try this year is a migratory cover with a hole just big enough for a canning jar lid to fit into. Drill or punch some holes in the lid and invert into the hole. Jar sits atop the hive where you can see what the level is at a glance. Save the plug you cut out with the hole saw, take a few brads in the edge and drop it back in the hole when you are done. The bees will propolize it shut.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Barry n Abbie

• Abbigail Honey
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 09:12:20 am »
Thanks all.  I will try the bees wax sealant and post a pic when they are finished.

Barry
Barry

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 10:00:43 am »
An easy design I am going to try this year is a migratory cover with a hole just big enough for a canning jar lid to fit into. Drill or punch some holes in the lid and invert into the hole. Jar sits atop the hive where you can see what the level is at a glance. Save the plug you cut out with the hole saw, take a few brads in the edge and drop it back in the hole when you are done. The bees will propolize it shut.
That will work Neil...I tried it, and don't do it now.

Because, sunlight hitting the jar will cause mold to grow inside the syrup.  You will need to mix two to one syrup to slow that down.  Or, mix clorox bleach in the syrup.  Or, use essential oils to the same end, but that encourages robbing where I live. 

If you want to feed from the top, an easier way is to place that jar or a bucket over the hole in the inner cover and put an empty super over that with a telescoping top.  Better for the mold issue, less robbing, and no need to rely on propolization of the plug on top.  That is why many experienced beekeepers prefer the way Perry described.   :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 10:02:41 am »
Barry, I've seen some use silicone caulking in joints of that type of feeder, with good success.  :)

I used this setup for NUC boxes and solved the feeding solution this way:

I use this combination to feed small Hives in full sized hive bodies and NUCs.  This way, you can add food without disturbing the bees, and robber bees must brave a reduced entrance with a robbing screen over that.  My latest version has a 3/4" spacer nailed to the underside of the luan top to allow space for feeding of pollen substitute and for granular sugar in winter.  It has been a versatile setup for me, but I'm just a small time hobbyist and can putter with it.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 12:40:31 pm »
I feed with mason jars in a inner cover made for this purpose with a medium super covering it then lid. No mold and hole is screened with #8 so when removing old jar to put in new the bees remain in the hive and little disturbance.
Cheers, Bill
The following users thanked this post: Perry

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 07:05:14 pm »
Thanks Lee,

Think you just saved me some grief. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline vvand111

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 10:20:38 pm »
Love my top hive feeders with floats. Very few drowning's if you get it set up right.