Author Topic: Another lost hive.....  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Apis63

Another lost hive.....
« on: March 23, 2017, 12:30:11 pm »
Feeling really defeated this morning.  I went out to listen to my one remaining hive last evening and it was dead.  Two hives, lost them both.  The worst part for me is not knowing what happened--it's SO frustrating.  I peeked in Monday to check on how much was left on the candyboard--the bees were flying that day, as the weather was pretty warm.  Some were actively eating from the candyboard.  All seemed well.  Now I'm wondering if I should have peeked.  Did I upset the cluster?  Gosh, it's just so frustrating second guessing everything. 
I have two packages of bees ordered, so will start over in late April............... 

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Another lost hive.....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 01:13:08 pm »
I feel for you Apis63.  There is a post about sending bees in for examination, I think it's under the pest and diseases but not sure.  Others will correct me if wrong.  You might give that a go, maybe could find out why they croaked.  Maybe do an autopsy with pics and see what folks have to say here.  Glad to hear you are ordering more bees, hang tough!  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 08:54:04 pm »
 :yah:

Here is the link.  It is free and you get results back in ~ 3weeks.
http://www.worldwidebeekeeping.com/forum/index.php/topic,6639.0.html

Will tell you if varroa or nosema where the culprits.   Seeing a lot of folks with nosema die off this year.   Sounds like you had a slow die off to where the cluster became too small to keep warm.

BTW,  you opening the hive did not cause them to die.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

The following users thanked this post: Apis63

Offline Apis63

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 11:29:08 am »
Thanks for your replies, Ted and Robo.  I would like to send some bees in--can you tell me, does it matter how long they've been dead?  I found them on Wednesday evening and have just left the hive as is outside--is it still ok to collect them and put them in the alcohol and send them? Just curious how long can they be dead before they can no longer be tested?

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 12:36:45 pm »
I had the same question.  My thought is, except for the shipping, it's free.  Worst that can happen is they won't test the sample.  You won't know any less than you do right now and given the question you/we will actually know more.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.
The following users thanked this post: Apis63

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 02:54:38 pm »
They should be fine to test as long as they aren't all mushy and moldy.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Apis63

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 03:14:03 pm »
Got it!  Thanks for your replies--I will let you know how it goes!